Widescreen vs. Standard LCD

By ColdFusion1990
Dec 21, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I recently purchased a 19" Widescreen LCD monitor from Newegg and I want to know the difference between 19" widescreen and 19" standard LCDs. Is the screen height smaller in a widescreen compared to standard? How do you measure a 19" widescreen monitor? If I already own a 19" Standard LCD, would the screen be higher or the same as the 19" widescreen? Answers would be greatly appreciated.
  2. olefarte

olefarte TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,427

I am hoping to buy a 22" monitor soon, and a 22" monitors screen height is the same as a 19" standard, it's just wider. That should give you something to compare with as to your question. To measure the screen size you measure from diagonal corner to corner. Standard screen is 4:3 ratio, widescreen on a pc monitor is 16:10.

Edit: If you are looking on NewEgg, go to some of the manufaturers sites and check them out. A few, not many, list the actual width/height of the screens, but they are hard to find.
  3. Superinc

Superinc Newcomer, in training Posts: 106

Yes the height is less ,and width is more in widescreen.

all Monitors/TVs are measure Diagonally (Top-Left to Lower Right corners)
    is still the same.

I just a got Samsung 20"WS , its beautiful ! LOVE gaming on it ! Movies! Web browsing (two page split)
  4. ColdFusion1990

ColdFusion1990 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 141

Cool

Thanks. Hopefully it will look nice! :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.