Wierd response to install of Nvidia GeForce 8500GT drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyR

Hello Everyone :)

I'm getting a weird response when I try to install the latest drivers for my 8500GT.

The installer will seem to progress just fine, until about halfway on the progress meter...then the computer shut's down and restarts! Here's the weird part: it continues this cycle of shutting down/restarting until I hit F8 to get it into safe mode!

I had just reformatted my harddrive and was in the process of installing everything. I read in another thread that it was suggested to put the earlier video card in(ati) before installing the new drivers (nvidia), but I figured that since I had reformatted the drive, that wouldn't be nessecary.

If only I had not misplaced the original driver cd for the nvidia card! (aarrrgh!)

Please help!

I don't mind trying older drivers...but which ones? I was looking at the list of foreware in the driver section and don't even know where to start. Is there any way to get the original drivers created for the 8500GT?

That depends on when that card was sold and packaged
It's a matter of trying one, then if it doesn't work another (obviously un-install fully first) then the next one, and so on. Until one works with your system.
According to the site, the newest is always the best, so why do they keep the archived drivers available?

Yes, I agree. Someone on the nvidia forums just posted a link for the 177.66beta, guess I'll start there lol.

no dice. One funny thing I noticed, is that when I try to install the drivers in safe mode, once it completes, the final message reads: "System has not been modified. To install program at a later time run installation again."

Why would it say this if that what I just tried doing? And if I try it in normal mode, I go back to the constant shutdown/restart cycle.

I always go to Nvidia or ATI to get the most current versions of their drivers. However, if you are having trouble with them you might try going to your card's manufacturer's website to see if they have a version of the driver to download. The driver at the manufacturer's site might not be the very latest compared to Nvidia's site and there may or may not be any significant difference between their version and the "official" Nvidia version but at least it is supposed to work with your card.

It is an Nvidia card. I just tried again...reformatted, installed everything else up to this point.

Once again, Device Manager tells me the drivers are not installed, and yet there is info there when you click on the "Driver Details" button, it gives you the location of the driver files just installed!

C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\nv4_mini.sys

I must say I'm getting quite frustrated; I can't use my older card because the board I have installed now won't support it! :(

1. Uninstall the drivers from Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel of Windows.
2. Restart the computer.
3. Run Driver Sweeper*, select the drivers that you have uninstalled and click Clean button.
4. Install the new drivers.

* For Windows Vista users, please run Driver Sweeper in administrator mode.
Right mouse click Driver Sweeper shortcut and click Run as administrator.

To download and install Driver Sweeper, please click HERE. (direct link)
Save DriverSweeper_1.5.5-setup-[Guru3D.com].exe file on the hard disk.
Run DriverSweeper_1.5.5-setup-[Guru3D.com].exe.

still no luck :(...my pc hates me :( I guess I'll try something else tommorrow...too tired to deal with it now (been screwing around with this most of the day :()

One last request for the nite; if anyone has an original copy of the installation cd for the Nvidia GeForce8500GT plz let me know! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back