WiFi on laptop keeps disconnecting, then computer crashes

Karenspook

I have a Windows 10 Acer factory reset laptop that I recently acquired from a friend. The only issue with it seems to be something with the wifi network adapter.

It will work just fine for a few days, no connectivity issues. Then suddenly it will lose all connectivity and won't be able to find any networks.

My phone is still connected just fine to the wifi, so it's not the router. Then a few minutes or so of trying to go into the device manager the machine crashes and says it must restart. Once restarted, the internet works just fine again. I've tried updating the drivers, but it tells me that I have the most current ones. I can't seem to pinpoint the issue. Any help would be welcome :)

Mistake:- Don't trust Microsoft Update to get the "best" driver. Instead, use the DeviceMgr, expand [+] Network adapters and find the Make+Model of the WiFi chip. Now go to the web and get the appropriate Win/10 driver and install it.

Well, I tried finding a driver and installed what seems to be the latest version available online, though I think that what I currently have is the most recent. Can't say if or when this issue will occur again, but if it does, do you have any other places I could post this issue that might be able to garner more precise solutions?

Typical issues are:
  • interference from other stations
  • buffer overflow from streaming (set the MTU to 1492)
find inSSIDer, install and see the wifi channel mix in your neighborhood

Back