WiFi, router and Windows XP

Kothas

Hello,
I bought a Linksys router E1000. I connected my PC (Windows 7)with wire. I also connectedmy father laptop (Windows 7) with integrated WiFi modem in it. Everything worked fine. Then I tried to connect my sisters laptop (Win XP) , it did not have integrated WiFi adapter, so I bought the D-Link DWA-131 Wireless N USB Adapter Nano. I installed it drivers, it saw my router, but it couldn't connect. It connected couple of times, but only for a few seconds. What I should do?

Hello,
I bought a Linksys router E1000. I connected my PC (Windows 7)with wire.
I also connectedmy father laptop (Windows 7) with integrated WiFi modem in it.

I tried to connect my sisters laptop (Win XP) , it did not have integrated WiFi adapter, so I bought the D-Link DWA-131 Wireless N USB Adapter Nano. I installed it drivers, it saw my router, but it couldn't connect. It connected couple of times, but only for a few seconds. What I should do?
Frequently we see that mixed-mode (eg G,N) connections interfere with each other - - force the Linksys to G-Only mode will usually allow all to connect

What to do?
First, you need to verify that ALL systems can support the same mode {A,B,G,N}
and then ensure that your router has that mode, looks like N in your case.

If there is NO common mode for the router + all systems, then you have to decide what you are going to change.
Said eariler, mixed modes to the same router can be a real pain and produce unstable connections -- explaining why we recommend one fixed mode.
G-Only dont work.
what does that mean; the device does not support G, or no system can connect using G? did you try it without encryption?
N-Only write that router will be unsecured.
huh? sounds like you're saying that there's a note or message somewhere that says N-mode can not use encryption - - if so, toss that router in the trash and get one that does!

Back