WiFi, router and Windows XP

By Kothas
Dec 19, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hello,
    I bought a Linksys router E1000. I connected my PC (Windows 7)with wire. I also connectedmy father laptop (Windows 7) with integrated WiFi modem in it. Everything worked fine. Then I tried to connect my sisters laptop (Win XP) , it did not have integrated WiFi adapter, so I bought the D-Link DWA-131 Wireless N USB Adapter Nano. I installed it drivers, it saw my router, but it couldn't connect. It connected couple of times, but only for a few seconds. What I should do?
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,018   +220

Frequently we see that mixed-mode (eg G,N) connections interfere with each other - - force the Linksys to G-Only mode will usually allow all to connect
  3. Kothas

Kothas Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 73

G-Only dont work. N-Only write that router will be unsecured. What to do?
  4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,018   +220

First, you need to verify that ALL systems can support the same mode {A,B,G,N}
    and then ensure that your router has that mode, looks like N in your case.

If there is NO common mode for the router + all systems, then you have to decide what you are going to change.
    Said eariler, mixed modes to the same router can be a real pain and produce unstable connections -- explaining why we recommend one fixed mode.
    what does that mean; the device does not support G, or no system can connect using G? did you try it without encryption?
    huh? sounds like you're saying that there's a note or message somewhere that says N-mode can not use encryption - - if so, toss that router in the trash and get one that does!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.