Wifi router turning off automatically

Hey, I was trying to setup an adhoc connection, but I'm faced with a dilemma.
I have internet via an ethernet cable, so I want to spread this wifi using my laptop's wifi connection.
However, whenever I connect the ethernet cable to my laptop and it's connected to the internet, the wifi light on my keyboard automatically turns red and the wifi router no longer works, hence I cannot create the adhoc connection.
After I remove the ethernet cable, the wifi light turns back on, and I'm able to create an adhoc network, but I won't have any internet to spread since, well, the ethernet cable is not plugged in...

I have an HP running on Windows 7.
Both ethernet and wifi adapters are fine.

How do I prevent my ethernet connection from shutting down my wifi router??

Thanks everyone!

Hmm; IMO, Windows is attempting to keep you out of hot water.

Your PC WiFi is not intended to act like an open hotspot. I you what 'guest' connects via wifi, you should manage that in the router setup (several have the option for guest vs lan users).

You were to create this kind of network:
  • router = = PC - - wif - - guests
The routing table needs special entries and in effect, you would be creating a dual-home environment (the guests could just as easily be a secondary ISP).

Thank you for the feedback jobeard.
Not being a tech expert, I'm not sure I understood what you said.
I got the part where Windows is doing that to protect my internet, but I do not need this protection here, I just need to figure out how to prevent Windows from shutting down my wifi... Thanks!!

Point well received!
Can you suggest an alternative way to send wireless internet to nearby devices using my laptop, in an environment where I cannot install an external wifi router?
Thanks again!

Normally, all users connect to the same router (eg: a hotspot router) AND do not share anything.

I am reading you to desire a peer-to-peer connection, eg

your PC - - wifi - - their PC​

1) more than one peer needed?
2) Internet access still required on either PC?

Hello again :)
I need but one single peer, an android mobile.
And internet is required to remain at the laptop of origin...
Maybe instead of wifi, there's a possibility of connecting via usb cable?
My android is rooted so I have many capabilities I think.

Ok so I tried the tethering method, and it works.
I have internet on my android using the usb cable.
Everything I tried so far is working, sweet !!!
But still I would have preferred wired internet, less cumbersome XD

In other news, my wifi turning off when I plug my ethernet cable was an option in my HP.
I had to enter my BIOS settings upon laptop startup and disable the LAN/WLAN option.
Now my wifi adapter is working alongside the ethernet, and I'm able to use Connectify-me program to send internet to my android.
Problem solved. Thanks me!! :D

Ok so I tried the tethering method, and it works.
I have internet on my android using the usb cable.
Everything I tried so far is working, sweet !!!
But still I would have preferred wired internet, less cumbersome XD
hmm; If the Andriod has wifi, then you could just connect it to the existing router. [wifi-andriod]

Last edited by a moderator:
... in my HP I had to enter my BIOS settings upon laptop startup and disable the LAN/WLAN option.
yea, HP pulls that kind of thing. The usual problem for wired+wifi is a messed up routing table where only the first connection gets all the traffic.

I'm able to use Connectify-me program to send internet to my android.
Connectify is a software based router - - and the solution [wifi-andriod] above would have done that for you without the extra cost

Hello Jobeard, I'm currently using the lite version of connectify-me, so I didn't pay anything.
The solution you mentioned, there's a red text inside those two "[ ]", but how do I access ur solution? There's not link I mean. Thanks!!

Aaaah I see, I thought you put a link to some solution.
The thing is, there is no existing wifi router, there's only an ethernet cable and my laptop.
Initially I tried the tethering method because my wifi adapter was disabled.
After I managed to enable the wifi adapter in my laptop, I first thought of the ad-hoc method, but it turned out that android phones do not list ad-hoc connections; I found a few unreliable solutions to this that messes with ur phone, but I decided not to go with that.
Then I found the connectify-me program which I thought to be a break-through, but then I just found another program that does the exact thing and is totally free: Virtual Wifi Router v3. I'm currently using it and it works splendidly!!
Thanks for the support Jobeard :)

Tools
Control Panel
Network and Sharing Center
Change Adapter Settings
Advanced tab
Advanced Settings
Yes
Under the Adapters and Bindings top window, highlight the connection you want to be primary and move it to the top. The normal setup is for the LAN connection to take priority as this is fastest but if you want wi-fi to take control whenever it is available just highlight that and use the arrows to move it to the top.

Back