WikiLeaks documents link China to Google attack

Jos

Staff

WikiLeaks is causing quite an international uproar with the release of more than 250,000 confidential documents containing communications from U.S. embassies across the globe. The documents reveal the nation’s policy and views on all sorts of foreign incidents. Among them, one set of documents has caught the attention of tech media around the web, as it allegedly confirms what many assumed all along: the Chinese government was directly responsible for the hacking attempts on Google earlier this year targeting the Gmail accounts of Chinese human right activists.

According to the New York Times, a Chinese contact reportedly told the American Embassy in Beijing in January 2010 that the incidents were part of a ''coordinated campaign of computer sabotage carried out by government operatives, private security experts and Internet outlaws recruited by the Chinese government.'' A senior Politburo official supposedly prompted the attacks after he searched his own name on Google and found various articles criticizing him.

The documents suggest the Chinese government has also broken into American government computers and those of Western allies, the Dalai Lama and American businesses since 2002. So far, there has been no official reaction from either the U.S. or Chinese government to this specific story. However, given that the documents apparently only refer to an embassy “contact” and not to any hard evidence, it will likely remain the same way.

Google temporarily pulled out of China earlier this year and began serving uncensored results through its Hong Kong servers. However, with its operating license set to expire in July, Google opted for a last minute compromise and agreed to comply with Chinese regulation again but offering a link on google.cn to the unfiltered Hong Kong site.

Permalink to story.

To fix you, they've released about ~200 to the general public at their website (cablegate.wikileaks.org/).

They've said that the materials will be gradually released all the time for a few months time, so quite a lot of time will pass until we can see all 250,000 documents (cables in this case).

Cheers!

hhmmm firs comment.. yupii!!, All I heard here is People trying to create some kind of problems betwen nations... or is it true and we live far from knowin what move under the clouds of politics, and the comon used excuse of National Security for spy any peace or green people actions.

Good old wikileaks....Us "Normal" people don't see half of what's going on behind the curtains, but thanks to wikileaks, we at least get a sniff.

On the China thing...If i lived in China, i'de move out... simple as that. The underhanded tactics China are using (against it's own people and that of other nations) are just pretty much unique really. How quick i wonder would the world be to "scold" China for this sort of stuff, if it didn't have as much weight in it's economy (amongst other things)...Hmmmm...

I find the United States government's response to Wikileaks articles vastly more unsettling than the articles themselves.

Prior to each new major article release this year, the national media outlets cite anonymous government officials as saying that Wikileaks will put U.S. service men and women at risk. The article is soon posted on the site and looky there ... our government has been quite deliberately lying about something or other.

Then, of course, one can not forget the odd timing of rape charges brought against Julian Assange - the head and founder of Wikileaks. If I recall correctly, the charges were quickly dismissed by the Swiss courts and are widely regarded as a "character assassination" attempt.

Criticism and the exposure of lies is not unpatriotic; such is not un-American. On the contrary, whistle-blowers are the few who are able and willing to save us from ourselves. The United States of America is not to be a nation which lies to its people about the number of civilian casualties in Iraq and Afghanistan or the prolific use of warrantless wiretapping on U.S. citizens. As the belated, yet renowned historian Howard Zinn so eloquently stated:

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism."

I'm amazed at the amount and frequency of these leaks and that the individual or group leaking these hasn't been caught. I mean when you have this many documents released over this short period of a time, they could only have come from a handful of sources. But so far, I think it's more media hype than anything. So some Saudi Prince wanted the U.S. to take out Iran's nuclear reactor (the Saudi's make no secret of hating Iran) and China (gasp) was behind the Google attacks.

Seriously - that's "double secret probation" news? None of this is a shocker.

I just read this on wikileaks:

"The reports detail 109,032 deaths in Iraq, comprised of 66,081 'civilians'; 23,984 'enemy' (those labeled as insurgents); 15,196 'host nation' (Iraqi government forces) and 3,771 'friendly' (coalition forces)."

It has notting to do with this page but is shocking, 109,032 persons killed, I dont think nicely, (who know how many mutilated or lossing everything) and some people making money of that.

Join the Wiki movement!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wikimovement/145568648826670?v=info#!/pages/Wikimovement/145568648826670?v=info

Mission

1. World Peace
2. Defend our Rights
3. Protect our Freedom
4. Support Wikileaks
5. Free Julian Assange

We need to understand that we are fighting for our freedom, our human rights. These leaks does not only reveal the scams and lies of corrupt governments and corporations, it also shows that you are no longer able to exercise freedom of speech and that you can be internationally wanted by the intelligence agencies of the world. For what? Standing up against corrupt governments? The question is, can you stand up for yourself without being on the hit list of politicians. Do you have to fear someone knocking on your door if you stand up against lies and scams?

We must unify each other and support Wikileaks and Julian in these hard times when they are being attacked from all sides of their organization. Obama didn't win his historical election by himself, people unified and truly fought for him. We need to do the same thing for Wikileaks since they are not going to promote themselves, we have to reach out to people and enlighten them.

By building a strong community with millions of members, Wikileaks agenda won't be in vain.

Wikileaks needs us and we need them. Enlightenment to the people

Please join and share!

Back