Wikileaks exposes surveillance industry with 'The Spy Files'

Leeky

Julian Assange, creator of the whistle-blowing website WikiLeaks, announced the latest project for his website today. Dubbed the Spyfiles, the project centers around the publication of files that allegedly prove how Western and Eastern high-tech companies compete against each other for lucrative contracts in support of some of the world's most oppresive regimes.

"When citizens overthrew the dictatorships in Egypt and Libya this year, they uncovered listening rooms where devices from Gamma Corporation of the UK, Amesys of France, VASTech of South Africa and ZTE Corp of China monitored their every move online and on the phone," he stated in the announcement on the Spyfiles website.

The files present damning information regarding Western powers in a covert industry that has grown over the last decade from supplying government intelligence agencies to one that now sells to any dictator or elect government with the money to spend.

At present, the industry is completely unregulated. The recent uprisings in the African continent and the subsequent ransacking of government offices provided valuable information further confirming the investigative work by groups such as Privacy International, among others. 

During a press conference held today in London, Assange said to the audience, "today we release over 287 files documenting the reality of the international mass surveillance industry -- an industry which now sells equipment to dictators and democracies alike in order to intercept entire populations." He continued, "Who here has an iPhone, who has a Blackberry, who uses Gmail? "Well you're all screwed [...] the reality is that intelligence operations are selling right now mass surveillance systems for all those products".

Another panel member, Pratap Chatterjee, highlighted that it was entirely possible for your phone to be used to record and send information about you, including information pertaining to your location even when the handset was in standby mode. He added that it could be used to take pictures and record your conversations without you having any knowledge of it happening.

The latest release of information marks the first since being forced to halt future publishing of classified documents due to its funding being almost completely blocked off. The site saw its revenues drop by 95 percent as a result of the block.

Google and Sonic, a small ISP, were both handed court orders in October demanding the release of information held about several of Wikileaks' supporters. Sonic eventually complied after losing its fight against the order, but Google never responded publicly about whether it complied.

Permalink to story.

mevans336 said:
Seriously, isn't this rapist in prison yet?

As far as I remember he hasn't been found guilty as off yet; and secondly the accuser herself has a history of being an CIA operative .........

Actually, Carrier IQ has been used in Saudi Arabia,Qatar, Bahrain as a government "anti-terrorist" tool - so the data gathered can be transmitted if so desired. Carrier IQ logs all keystrokes and GPS location as well SMS messages- HTC , ATT, Verizon, have acknowledge use of the software.

Who gives a **** anyway, unless you have something to hid.......................

Can someone please hack Julian Sausage's emails to prove that he is the self-absorbed narcissist jerk with an anti-western agenda? The sooner he dies, the happier I will be.... in his little cool-aid world the Xenophobic Islamists are some kind of model for humanity... I say this because he concentrates 100% on exposing minor corruptions in the west while ignoring the true attrocities that happen daily in places like Iran and Egypt.

The information regarding covert surveillance capabilities on a mass scale by any financed entity, especially government agencies, is highly accurate and is taking place in the US every day. My sources are retired Intel and EE's and IT' with professional experience. It's a fact. The kind of mocking comments posted here always show up to try to dissuade from accepting/believing. Wake up citizens.

Can someone please hack Julian Sausage's emails to prove that he is the self-absorbed narcissist jerk with an anti-western agenda? The sooner he dies, the happier I will be.... in his little cool-aid world the Xenophobic Islamists are some kind of model for humanity... I say this because he concentrates 100% on exposing minor corruptions in the west while ignoring the true attrocities that happen daily in places like Iran and Egypt.
+1

Hello, what new car does not have BT technology and navigation equipment even if it's not "on" or you do not "subscribe" the feature in in the car in all models, just not accessible by you because you did not pay for it. If your phone can transmit in airplane mode then these computers can too. Add traffic light cameras and satellite imaging (or even just google maps tracking) and anyone can listen to any conversation in your car even if you have a scramble cel phone. It just doesn't matter what you do, you are in the system or you are out. Being "in" means you clicked yes on the EULA whether you read it or not. Too bad, if they want you then they get to have you.it may be too late to change any of it. Information is power, I like having access to wikileaks, but I almost never go there anymore. What is the point? It's just a matter of time before it's all gone, if not on this charge then the next one - and Julian will fade away, like all those before him.

What does Google say about it?
If gmail is corrupted what is next? .....I think we are heading right to the "Mark of the Beast".
It is shocking when it happens right in the front of your eyes.

Just take a look at the guy's bio. All things being equal, the guy clearly has authority and abandonment problems, stemming from major daddy issues from his youth. And what is a bigger authority than the US?

Human beings are never as complex as they think they are. All the issues we have stem from very basic things, him included.

He's doing this cause he wants attention from people. He could care less about WL, or Iraq, or BofA. He's doing whatever will get him the most attention from people. The only reason we even know about him is cause Manning gave him a bunch of info. Other than that he'd be wallowing in obscurity.

matrix... xxx...
Neo, agent Smith... zzz..zz... trak-lblip-tik-tak-tik... blue pill or red pill? :p
lot of haters and freedom fighters... :D
(somebody wake me up, please?)

I for one believe the man, and think his character is being assassinated. Big brother is here. Soon predators will be here too.

Actually, this whole story is really about the contents of those leaked files

Julian is working for the CIA. and is being used to stir up the nationals of western countries so that the governments can build nice pissed off bunch of people to go to war against who ever they want! ha ha ha he

That fact that so many CIA's operative post here is the reason why Assange must be released.
Dont think the comments here and on newspaper sites arent inflitrated by these bogeymen.
Being paid to oppose national interests as to Assanges genuine opposition to whats really going on is embarrasing ist it? Cant see how these people sleep at nights.

My guess is CIA employees are posting here. Those are the comments that divert from the subject to the character of Julian Assange. Which one has more bearing on your life? Which story better serves the interests of intelligence agencies who don't want you agitating against their domestic surveillance programs, such as the ones described here, that you never voted on, and never will? I suppose I don't have to explain this to you ... but as it is still a free enough country for me to say this, well, I'm sayin' it.

I'm amazed to read the amount of brainwashed comments here. The world needs more people like Julian Assange. He's always made his intentions clear towards any large group out there: be honest, transparent, indulge in proper business conduct, and you will never have any dirt thrown at you. The whole point of what he does is to promote transparency on all levels, and those who conduct wrongful business will be openly called out for it. What's wrong with that? Can't we all hope for a better future, a better society where there's little corruption thanks to that kind of guy? He said those who fear him are the ones who have bad things to hide, that's it.

As for the ALLEGATIONS (some people like to have them dead before tried it seems) of sexual assault, some people need to do some reading: He had unprotected sex (stupid) with two women, but did not rape them, it was consensual. He didn't want the rubber, the women did but ended up caving. The issue is these two women talked to each other and when they realized they both had unprotected sex with him, they freaked out and went filed a complain against him. He did not force them to have sex, no matter how reckless he behaved. This whole thing is just a ploy to get him in Sweden so he can be extradited to the USA where he could be executed. Funny how more than a year after this ordeal he still hasn't been formally charged with any crime, yet has to fight extradition.

Those bought comments are funny, I thought CIA has better things to do than try to influence public opinion through internet commenting :)
Well good luck in your work.

Back