Wikileaks goes political, Julian Assange runs for Australian Senate

Rick

Staff

According to ABC News Australia, controversial Wikileaks founder Julian Assange has decided to run for a seat in Australia's Upper House. Not only does Assange aspire to become a political figure himself, but Wikileaks also claims to have its own candidate who will be running against incumbent Prime Minister, Julia Gillard. 

"The name of the Lalor candidate and the state Julian will run for will be announced at the appropriate time," the organization said.

To make matters more complex though, Assange is currently on bail awaiting a decision by the British Supreme Court regarding his extradition to Sweden. Assange faces allegations of rape and assault from 2010. The Wikileaks founder has vehemently denied the sex-crime accusations, however, Assange claims such an extradition would pave the road to facing U.S. charges of espionage. Expectations of such charges stem from thousands upon thousands of sensitive military documents which were publicly exposed through Wikileaks' website.

Despite being detained under house arrest in England and awaiting extradition, Wikileaks says it has discovered that Assange can still run for the Upper House. The organization went on to confirm that Assange has decided to run. However, it was not made clear what legal loophole, if any, allows an individual in Assange's predicament to run as senator.

In 2011, Wikileaks had leaked hundreds of thousands of confidential, Internationally-sensitive diplomatic documents. To the embarrassment of Australian officials, a list of suspected Australian terrorists was discovered in the enormous cache of secretive documents. 

Subsequently, Australian officials investigated whether or not Wikileaks had violated federal law. Federal police determined Wikileaks was safe as the incident was outside of the country's jurisdiction. However, the Prime Minster condemned the action as "grossly irresponsible".

Permalink to story.

He's a criminal cus he exposed the dirty side of the Americans and the rest of the worlds politicians. ahaha! but sad that he's now him self going to be one of them. One person cannot make a change in the system unless you happen to be NEO.

Guest said:
Why is he a criminal?

Probably a rapist of women: most definitely a rapist of the truth and an avowed supporter of terrorism. But hey, so are half of Obama's advisers, so I guess that's the new normal.

Probably a rapist of women: most definitely a rapist of the truth and an avowed supporter of terrorism. But hey, so are half of Obama's advisers, so I guess that's the new normal.

By the way the women who accused him had a history of working with CIA (this is just one link, you can always search for more if you like so I wouldn't buy into these charges too much, in all probability when the likes of CIA get involved they can get anything done through legal or illegal means.

On the terrorism, modern terrorism stems from American's support of various factions who were fighting the Ruskies in Afghanistan during 1980s, ironically, their own game is now defeating the purpose of it, as except for couple of large cities they no longer have any control over the country they occupy, and are in desperate search of an face saving option.

So next time you want to convict someone, do a little research before jumping to the conclusion.

lol, should australia go to war against the U.S.A. in case julian assange wins in the senate (or australian parliament's prime minister position) and the U.S.A. insists on immediate extradition due to sensitive info leaks?

the U.S.A will get what it wants anyway for whatever reason just like in the case of general manuel noriega of panama, saddam hussein of iraq, moafar khadaffi of libya, ferdinand marcos of the philippines...

only fidel castro can resist the U.S.A.

maybe, hugo chavez is next when oil prices rise to undesirable levels.

I for one would vote for him, hopefully he would scare a few pollititans into doing the right thing for us all....there should be more like him entering pollitics.

Guest said:
I for one would vote for him, hopefully he would scare a few politicians into doing the right thing for us all....there should be more like him entering pollitics.

Kinda agree with this statement, I know what he has done can be considered by some as bad, however, someone like this in politics would scare other politicians into doing the right thing and not for greed.

I think right now, given the choices, I would vote for this guy, I have more faith that he would not lie to the public (as much) as someone like David Cameron does.

in short - politicians are public persons and as such, they need to held accountable for their actions; thus exposing their secrets should be considered as good deed; a deed from a citizen who is concerned for the health of the society...
but then - is he? ;)

This guy leaked classified military documents to the world when it wasnt his place to do so. That in and of itself is a crime. Whitewash it however you see fit, but the point still remains that he is a criminal. If he had done this in 1950 America he would have faced a military firing squad. Hes no "Hero". Hes no "Robin Hood" Hes just a cyberthug. Oh and to the person who posted above about America getting what they want with dictators......We didnt see ANY other country standing up to defend anyones rights except America. Can you honestly sit there at your computer with the whole worlds info at your fingertips and tell me that those ppl America went after didnt deserve it??
Noriega...Drugs
Khadifi...Human rights violations
Hussain.....Brutalizing his own ppl
Should we have left them to continue their horrible crimes?? It must be nice to be that blind if you believe that. Ppl claim America is a bully. Well sometimes you need to be a bully in order to save others. Its not nice or fair but NO ONE ELSE does anything. They all sit in their Parliments or other House of Law and mentally masterbate as to what they are going to do.

Stupido said:

in short - politicians are public persons and as such, they need to held accountable for their actions; thus exposing their secrets should be considered as good deed; a deed from a citizen who is concerned for the health of the society...
but then - is he? ;)

I agree with you on this. Politicians know what they are getting into so if they are exposed for something they have done that is unethical I have no pity for them. And it is our job to dig for this type of stuff and bring it to light. However, when you start publishing top secret documents that can get military and/or clandestine operatives killed, then I have a problem with it.

@Tygerstrike
Qadafi was simply kicked out by the US (& allies) on so called 'human rights violations' so to control that country by placing a subservient govt. Look what is the current state of Libya, nothing but utter chaos. Oh and did I missed the part played by Libyan oil (& water, Great Man-Made River) in this? Nope. Roughly the same for Saddam, in fact I remember US was made aware by the Saddam govt. that they intend to invade Kuwait, and Mr. Bush Sr. & Co. having armed and funded Saddam's army for a decade, looked the other way as it presented them with an opportunity to militarize ME to their own advantage.

If for one moment we accept your argument, what you make of Bahrain Govt. killing thousands of its own people who wanted ‘freedom’ from the clutches of American supported regime? Or to even greater extent the Yemeni Govt. killing even more of its citizens? Why no one wants to stop these ‘human rights violations’?

To sum it up, human rights etc. are just slogans, the real objective is to sustain and prolong empire's dominance and protect its interests, and this they'll achieve with whatever means necessary.

To be able and by exposing the dirty side of the Americans and the rest of the worlds politicians or anyone else's info, he first commited a crime: violated information - so why should people vote for a crook to occupy so important chair?!!

One little question, the charges of raping was before or after he released all that dirty stuft about the us and friends?

psycros said:
Guest said:
Why is he a criminal?

Does the little troll want a tasty baby to eat?

Tygerstrike said:
This guy leaked classified military documents to the world when it wasnt his place to do so.

Whose place was it, Cheney's? He exposed a well established, smoothly running intel network because the handler's husband had criticized Cheney's little war industry project against that non-threat, Iraq. But don't let such facts get in your way.

As for classified military documents, the Pentaloons are now going through old, declassified documents and REclassifying them. How much absurd secrecy is enough?

If anyone ever made a convincing argument that Wikileaks had actually harmed any important military or diplomatic interests, or caused actual strategic or even tactical harm, I might be more sympathetic to b.s. like yours. But as near as I can tell, all Wikileaks did was embarrass a bunch of dishonest, power-greedy a**holes. Good for Wikileaks and good for the man who started it.

Anyhow, that rape charge reeks to high heaven. It stinks of power politics at its worst.

@TJ
Obviously it wasnt his place to share those secrets. Regardless of whomever was responsable not leaking that info. The only FACT im stating is that he didnt have the security clearence to do what he did. It doesnt matter if you think what he did was "harmless" or not. If it was your dirty little secrets someone was releasing w/o your permission you would look for a way to get back at that individual.
Heres your convincing argument.........
Hes not military.
Hes not a member of Congress.
He is by definition a traitor.

To be factual, he is not traitor, as he is not a) an american, b) american laws are useless for rest of the world, as they can't be applied beyond its boundaries. Hence not being a citizen mean the charge of treason is irrelevant and useless.

Now what is left after this rationale is simple fact, that an empire is annoyed that its dirty little secrets have been brought into public sphere and it can't find any way to get even, but come up with false accusations / allegations / cases etc.

@Arc
Actually it doesnt matter if he is a citizen of the US to be deemed a Traitor. He performed a malicious act against America and its interests. The rape charge isnt comming from the US. Its another country entirly that is saying he raped someone. America just wants its shot at prosecuting him for the crime he has commited.

Why Australia? Come to America! The government (among MANY other things) is horrendously corrupt here.

Assange would be a boon against corruption with whatever position he happens to get within that respective country's government. I hope he succeeds.

The world needed Wikileaks; it still does.

Back