WikiLeaks to buy boat, move servers offshore to avoid prosecution

By Shawn Knight
Feb 1, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Investors for WikiLeaks are reportedly in the process of purchasing a boat that would be used to move the site’s servers offshore in an attempt to avoid prosecution from law…

Read the whole story
  2. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 428   +44

I'm on a boat (I'm on a boat)
    Everybody look at me 'cause I'm sailing on a boat (sailing on a boat)
    I'm on a boat
    Take a good hard look at the motherf@#ing boat (boat, yeah)

Credit <before I get SOPA'd> :Lonely Island
  3. chuckmeister

chuckmeister TS Rookie

I see potential "icebergs" in their future
  4. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,101   +95

Big black submarine shaped icebergs...
  5. Zeromus

Zeromus TS Booster Posts: 224   +7

Sounds Boss.
  6. pixelstuff

pixelstuff TS Rookie Posts: 19

So if someone in a boat off shore, under maritime law, decided to launch a few missiles into U.S. citizens, should they really expect not to be sunk? Similarly if another boat launches a digital attack at U.S. citizens, should they also expect not to be sunk?

I must be missing some piece of information in the investor's logic.
  7. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,525   +828

What a lovely contribution to this discussion. I now feel smarter after reading this.
  8. I think there might be a very small difference between exposing documents and mass-murdering U.S. citizens with missiles. Just a small difference.
  9. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Evangelist Posts: 726   +224

No, you just seize the servers and take everything down whilst arresting the people behind it, long before any judicial verdict has been declared, effectively assuming guilty until proven innocent.
  10. Mindwraith

Mindwraith TS Enthusiast Posts: 186

There's a difference between maritime law and crazy ***-face do whatever you want on planet bonkers law.
  11. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

Julian will henceforth be known as "The Cap'n"
  12. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,154   +197

Sealand has been invaded before. In international waters no one can hear you scream....
  13. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Guru Posts: 503   +42

True you prosecute ppl but you can't prosecute ppl without evidence. You need physical evidence of which they wouldn't have access to because its offshore effectively your own country you can deny them any access create a new law to shoot on site.
  14. Gamesinner

Gamesinner TS Rookie Posts: 86

Who needs evidence when there was a horrible ship wreck at see. lol
  15. Gamesinner

Gamesinner TS Rookie Posts: 86

16. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,883   +639

Techspot, Keep this thread open for as long as you have money to host it, that is the single greatest first comment on a story like this I have ever witnessed
  17. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,291   +55

Pirates, pirates. Anyone haunted by pirates?
  18. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TS Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

Did it improve your sense of humor too? Because @ikesmasher certainly got a smile from me. As have many of the WikiLeaks releases.

If it's a serious comment you want, I'll just say that any government with a passion for secrecy - even to the point of reclassifying old, declassified documents, as the U.S. has done - has hidden entirely too much from its own people. In such a clear case of government vs. the people, not of the people, what does a political hierarchy *think* will happen to its own legitiimacy? Go WikiLeaks! They perform a genuine public service.
  19. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

Even if they move their servers, it still wont stop any current charges from going through. They prolly dont need those servers for evidence. They have all they need already. They couldnt have gotten as far as they have w/o evidence. I can imagine tho what the US Navy is going to do once they are in international waters. A small "accident" on one of the battleships and a F-14 fighter plane falls on Sealand lol.
  20. metal gear solid 4 anyone?
  21. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,455   +1,758

Let's all chip in and buy Julian Assange a yacht. That's the best idea ever.....! :rolleyes:
  22. unloco101

unloco101 TS Rookie

In all honesty.. if they are going to charge him, does it really matter if they have his servers in custody? they could bring a 3g ipad to the trial? Exibit A: iPad showing said website. Exibit B: Click said link on said web page to display stuff that is bad.
    Its really a poor decision to move the servers off shore, aside from all the funny submarine, missle attacks, and the "three hour tour" the servers make it to Assanges island (Gilligans) I can think of. Physically storing (assuming the only copy) media and computer hardware miles off shore is an information security disaster waiting to happen. Storms, waves, fires, pirates, treasure hunters, looters, its all free game out there and unless you have a dedicated response team and armed guards...
    Unless there is a backup on land which invalidates the plans all-together. Maybe hes using iCloud or Dropbox