TechSpot

Wikipedia joins others in 24-hour blackout to protest SOPA

By Leeky
Jan 17, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Online encyclopedia Wikipedia became the latest high profile website to announce its intention to stage a 24-hour blackout on Wednesday January 18 in protest of the proposed Stop Online Piracy…

Read the whole story

2. +1 for Wikipedia!

Will Techspot be joining the protest?

3. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,512   +314

Agreed, I really hope even more websites join, soo many people i know who have no clue what SOPA is and a blackout of some of these websites such as Wiki will mean they will actually read up on it.

4. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 973   +99

hehe Techspot gotta keep us informed! :p

5. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Guru Posts: 593   +47

Well, I hope nobody has any papers to write that are due on Wednesday!

6. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,128   +731

Ok, now that the WHITE HOUSE has joined the ranks of groups against SOPA, can't we just forget about it? It's quickly devolving from something we need to worry about into something meaningless. (I know it's great headlines 'n all)

Or of course we could learn from it, and maybe cut down on priacy on our own so we don't have SOPA 2.0 next year at this time when we don't have a president afraid to upset anyone in an election year.

7. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 846   +11

As much as I will miss Wikipedia for the day, I'm still all for it :D. Too many people do not even know what SOPA is sadly. I asked a lot of my non-techie friends and the best I got is "well I've heard of it" but they don't have a clue what its about. Most of them gave me a blank confused look.
    More websites that join in on this and spread the work the better. I would love to see a site like Facebook shut down :D. (Really doubt they would tho :( ).

8. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Addict Posts: 637   +124

Last I heard, the likes of Facebook and Google were on the blackout list, although for a shorter period of time.

9. SantistaUSA

SantistaUSA TS Rookie Posts: 50   +8

Wednesday is my day off :'( well it is for a good cause! :D

10. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Enthusiast Posts: 331   +23

Hope so, without Google my job is going to be more of a pain.

11. every techspot reader already knows. that would be useless.

12. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,449   +324

As you mak know,

The Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA), also known as House Bill 3261 or H.R. 3261

is a bill that was introduced in the United States House of Representatives on October 26, 2011, by House Judiciary Committee Chair Representative Lamar Smith (R-TX) and a bipartisan group of 12 initial co-sponsors. The bill, if made law, would expand the ability of U.S. law enforcement and copyright holders to fight online trafficking in copyrighted intellectual property and counterfeit goods. Presented to the House Judiciary Committee, it builds on the similar PRO-IP Act of 2008 and the corresponding Senate bill, the PROTECT IP Act.​

see the Wikipedia description for further details

Major sites participating include:

* reddit
    * Wikipedia
    * Mozilla
    * Failblog, rest of the Cheezburger Network
    * Boing Boing

The Webpronews.com article includes instructions for loading the Simple Stop SOPA WordPress plugin. It will blackout your site and show the following message in white:

This site has been blocked in protest of the SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) and PIPA (Protect IP Act) two bills which will allow the government to censor the internet. Find out more at americancensorship.org or the video below. This website will return at 8pm.
    should you control your own website and wish to participate.

BE SURE to read the comments on the Webpronews article to get a balanced view on the issue.

13. MilwaukeeMike

Sorry to play devil's advocate here... but from the Wikipedia page...

The supporters of the bill say it will protect intellectual property, industry, jobs and revenue, and they site an example. The opponents say it violates the 1st Amendment, cripple the internet, and they have no example of what it might do? Really... cripple the internet? SOPA's going to break my email, facebook, google and amazon all at once huh?

In my experience the group who uses the strategy of gross exaggeration with no example of what might actually happen is usually the group who's wrong.

I'm not saying i'm supporting SOPA, but i need to hear a better argument than the over-used 1st Amendment and 'cripple the internet'

14. NeoFryBoy

NeoFryBoy TS Rookie Posts: 72

Give someone power and they'll probably abuse it. ie. When political groups in power begin shutting down the sites of opposing political groups. You could say that's not likely to happen, or you could just stop it from being able to happen.

The difference between foresight and hindsight.

15. marinkvasina

marinkvasina TS Enthusiast Posts: 262   +9

All it takes is for fb to be down for 1day, everyone would rage , 300% increase in suicides
    and then noone would support Sopa

16. yRaz

yRaz TS Addict Posts: 958   +114

That is the smartest thing I've heard in a long time,

+1

17. ^ This right here. Everybody read this and take it in. I can see something like this happening in the future=

18. JudaZ

JudaZ TS Enthusiast Posts: 294

Yes it might actually force Google as a search engine to be useless. Since if they link to anything related to anything that the Media Mafia claim is a copyright infringement, they can be sued. ..A search enging responsible for what it links to??? It is absurd.

19. between 8am and 8pm on the same day

technically this is just 12 hours

20. slamscaper

slamscaper TS Enthusiast Posts: 109   +10

Google is now linking users to a petition that protests SOPA. I just signed it myself and I would advise anyone that's against this madness to do the same. Google's main page contains the link.

21. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 4,378   +98

Reddit and Anonymous, and others are doing 8am til 8pm.

Wikipedia stated it was going dark for the full 24 hours. Read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

22. Yawn like working people will actually take notice.

23. MilwaukeeMike

A FAR FAR better solution than this current fad of protesting that involves sticking it to the average joe. Wikipedia shuts down, who suffers? Us right, and we already don't support SOPA. Occupy Whatever city is upset, and who suffers? The average worker who can't use the roads because they're trying to make a point.

I'm really sick of these groups using this 'I'm mad about something, so i'm going to slap YOU in the face' method of protest.

24. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,119   +1,523

No matter how you protest, it would be considered a slap in the face. The more effective protest would be a greater slap in the face, you must be asking for a less effective solution.

25. Darkshadoe

Darkshadoe TS Guru Posts: 566   +105

"I'm really sick of these groups using this 'I'm mad about something, so i'm going to slap YOU in the face' method of protest"

Well I think the "I'm mad about something so I am going to tickle you" method of protest was sort of ineffective.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.