Wikipedia wants 1 billion users, 200,000 editors by 2015

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

The Wikimedia Foundation (parent organization of Wikipedia) has shared a five-year strategic plan that outlines the group's key priorities and intended milestones. The plan was developed through a collaborative effort that began in 2009 and involved more than 1,000 participants worldwide.

The group's main objectives through 2015 are to stabilize Wikimedia's technical, financial and organizational infrastructure, increase the number of users and editors, improve the quality of articles and encourage innovation. More specifically, the Wikimedia Foundation is looking to:

• Increase the total number of people served to 1 billion
  • Increase the amount of information we offer to 50 million Wikipedia articles
  • Ensure information is high quality by increasing the percentage of material reviewed to be of high or very high quality by 25 percent
  • Encourage readers to become contributors by increasing the number of total editors per month who made >5 edits to 200,000
  • Support healthy diversity in the editing community by doubling the percentage of female editors to 25 percent and increasing the number of Global South editors to 37 percent

That's an ambitious roadmap when you look at Wikipedia's current stats. The site serves between 400 and 500 million unique users per month and has 18 million articles between all supported languages. As of December, the site had some 80,000 "active editors" -- those who make five or more edits a month.

Permalink to story.

• Increase the amount of information we offer to 50 million Wikipedia articles

I'm sure someone could come up with a list of 50 million random items or tools....

Codpiece?...Toothpick?...Or what about Tiger Woods?...Nah, i'll bet he's already been covered.

That should get things started....Maybe :)

They're going to need some major changes to the editorial staff if they're going to accomplish this objective. Seems to be a haven for otherwise impotent people who use Wikipedia's editorial policy in order to be able to exercise some degree of power and control over others. I'll stick to fixing typos.

Back