WildTangent: Is it a threat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feisty49

I downloaded XoftSpy to do a scan for spyware. (It scans for free but doesn't clean what it finds without purchase.) It found things that no other anti-spyware program has ever found (and I use 3 of them). There were many entries for WildTangent that were labeled threats. I found out via a Google search that WildTangent is related to on-line games and/or game playing. My research indicates that some consider it non-threatening, and maybe even necessary if a user plays the games it supports. Others consider it a pain in the neck and advise removing it.

So what do you all think? Is it worth removing? If I remove it, will I not be able to play certain games?

Thanks! :eek:

Have your tried the free ad-aware 1.06 and spy-bot 1.4? Between those two they get about everything. WildTangent used to be pretty bad but now a days its ok i heard. Unless you play games that you have downloaded (often free demos) go ahead and try to remove in from the control panel.

There are two things to remove the WebTangent drive and the game itself.

To remove the Web Driver and associated software, please do the following:

1. Open the Windows Control Panel, and select the "Add/remove programs" icon. Go to Start, then Settings, then select Control Panel)
2. Locate the "WildTangent Web Driver" in the list and select it.
3. Click Remove (or Change/Remove)
4. The Web Driver will be removed, however, any WildTangent games that you may have that are dependent on the Web Driver will not function properly. Instructions to uninstall games are below.

To remove a game, please follow the instructions below:

1. Open the Windows Control Panel, and select the "Add/remove programs" icon. Go to Start, then Settings, then select Control Panel)
2. Locate the game you wish to remove in the list and select it.
3. Click Remove (or Change/Remove)
4. You will be asked to Uninstall "Game", click Ok.

Thanks for the info. I use both Ad-Aware (I even bought the upgrade) and SpyBot. Neither have ever listed WildTangent. WildTangent is not listed among the programs that can be removed nor are any games. I guess I'll live with it. For all I know, it might have been on my hard drive for months and months. :eek:

don't download unknown "spyware removers" many of them a trojans themselves in disguise. Only go with trusted brands. If you don't know, ask here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back