TechSpot

Will 32-bit XP key work for 64-bit copy?

1. i have windows xp pro 32bit on my pc i was wondering cold i get a windows xp pro64bit install disc and install it on my pc using my key for my 32bit copy ?
  2. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 2,278

the key wouldn't work; why do you want 64bit XP? it's terrible...
  3. WinXPert

WinXPert TS Booster Posts: 527

Can your machine handle 64bit if not don't bother
  4. jmagee

jmagee TS Rookie

Hello to Everyone!

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and in search of a few answers myself, that's why I joined. I'll do my best to give some answers to everyone, based upon what I have experienced in my years of working on computers.

Best wishes to Everyone, Jmagee
  5. pjamme

pjamme TS Enthusiast Posts: 285

jmagee,
    If you have a fairly new branded computer, such as HP or Dell you can request 64 bit media from them.
    We have several engineers that were hitting a wall due to the lack of resources running 3D solidWorks files. I was able to get XP Pro 64 bit media from HP for free ifthe computer was still in warrantee and for $10 for those that weren't.
    It of course required a format and fresh install, but with the newer workstations it was a breeze and i was able to use 8GB of RAM (32-bit has a 4GB ceiling). This mad a tremendous improvement in the SolidWorks handling. The older workstations were not as easy to conmvert but they too showed marked improvement in handling of these huge, multi parts drawings.
  6. jmagee

jmagee TS Rookie

Sorry!

I don't know how to use the system here, period!

I also have found out that the question that I was wanting answered is not to be asked any more, so I guess I wasted my time by joining this group. Sorry to have bothered anyone. Best wishes to all!
  7. vectorsigma32

vectorsigma32 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 156

i like windows xp pro

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.