Will a 42" monitor be suitable?

magiclight

Hi techspot.. it's been a while,

Reccently had someone offer me a 42" TV cheap, as he needed cash fast.. So I snapped it up. Thinking i'd decide what to do with it later on...

One idea is putting it on the wall in the bedroom.. possibly hook up a console.

The other, and more relevent is hooking it up to the computer, which I use for gaming, entertainment, and other general uses.
Would having a 42" monitor coupled with a 24" one, on a single (large) desk work out?

I'm currently running a 8800GTX, and again i'm unsure how much GPU power this monsterous screen would use.

Anyone tried these sort of sizes as a computer screen?
Got a better idea on what I should do with this tv?

Regards,
Magic

Hi, I used to use a 46" Sony Bravia TV as my computer monitor. This was connected to a 8800GTX. The TV's native res is 1920x1080 so wasn't really requiring more power from the GPU than a 24" monitor of the same resolution (or 1920x1200). Not sure I'd have it on a desk, I used to sit at a small desk at a distance from it with a wireless keyboard an mouse. I think you'd suffer sitting that close to it (would not be able to see the whole screen without turning your head side to side, probably see the screen elements being that close).

If you are looking to play the latest games at 1920x1080/1200 then you might have to invest in a higher performance graphics card. If its just for general use and older games the 8800GTX should be fine (ran Modern Warfare in my rig listed in the "System" pop up without any problem at this resolution)

Photo-0001.jpg

Hi Arris, thanks for posting - Have to admit i'm starting to lean towards using it as a TV.. Just can't imagine sitting more than 2-3ft away from the monitor.

I'll still welcome more posts though,

Magic

I sat at a small pull out desk 3-4 ft away from the TV in the picture when using it as a monitor. Just don't think you'd be that far away when at a desk.

Best thing to do really is try it out, not really all that tough to hook your PC up to it and have a play with it. If it supports 1080P then you will get a 1920x1080 resolution out of it which is decent for using as a computer monitor. Post the brand and model of the TV and with a little research we'll be able to tell if its going to be decent as a monitor or not :)

That is going to consume a lot of GPU power. When I went from 1280x1024 13" to 1920x1200 24", my FPS was cut in half in some games. Better have GTX 4xx series in SLI to have decent frame rates on that monitor.

Back