Will a CPU with integrated graphics work with my motherboard?

Waffe

I was planning on buying one of he amd fm1 socket processors for my comp due to the fact im lazy and I don't think a new motherboard will fit in my tiny store bought computer case. Was wondering if it was dumb if I just chose to upgrade my cpu to that because I already have a non integrated gpu installed and I just dont wanna be wasting money.

A CPU with integrated graphics won't work unless it is installed on a motherboard that supports it. The motherboard has to be specifically configured for it, so in your case, I doubt that it is.

Is that link your PC? I may have misunderstood your original question. If that is your PC, you already have a CPU with integrated graphics so if you buy one of the other processors listed it should work fine in your PC. You have the option of using the integrated graphics or to continue using your discrete graphics card.

Ah yes that is my pc.Sorry for the misconception. I meant to say I wanted to upgrade my current cpu(with integrated graphics) to another more powerful(integrated) and use that with my installed nvidia card.

I just wanted to know if its stupid to just go with it because its cheaper than an intel cpu. If I had bought an intel I would need a new motherboard and blah blah.....

Well the FM1 CPU's have integrated graphics, but it doesn't 'join in' your your graphics card to provide a boost. You'd still get the nice CPU boost, though.

Yea man that's what I want. I believe my current cpu is bottle-necking my gtx560. I am aware they wont really combine as well. I can still run stuff fine currently..but the odd spikes are noticeable but not game breaking. Just a little ocd only I notice for some reason.

The cpu red1776 posted was one of the ones I was looking at. Since its the same socket that should fit in nicely eh? Also I would try overclocking if my case had better cooling, don't wanna melt my components.

Also I understand its different from putting in a psu and gpu etc, but will an average joe like me have an easy time self installing? Don't wanna pay some guy 60$ doing something I can do myself on my own time for free.

Waffe, I have the same computer HP P7-1254 . That you have. The mother board will only support up to the Liano A8-3850 100 watt. You could try the Liano A8-3870. But it may be pushing it a little. Or just not work. I have change mine to the A8 3850. 100 watt. Due to my graphics card. Which is a Gtx 550ti super clocked 2 gigs. It improve the performance nicely. But then again I am not a gamer. So mine is more for better video performance. A note on the side These motherboards are built for HP, So changing the processer will have to be with whats listed under the PC specs. So as I said before going with anything such as the A8-3870 maybe pushing it. Or just will not work. GoodLuck.

Waffe, I have the same computer HP P7-1254 . That you have. The mother board will only support up to the Liano A8-3850 100 watt. You could try the Liano A8-3870. But it may be pushing it a little. Or just not work. I have change mine to the A8 3850. 100 watt. Due to my graphics card. Which is a Gtx 550ti super clocked 2 gigs. It improve the performance nicely. But then again I am not a gamer. So mine is more for better video performance. A note on the side These motherboards are built for HP, So changing the processer will have to be with whats listed under the PC specs. So as I said before going with anything such as the A8-3870 maybe pushing it. Or just will not work. GoodLuck.

Yes, you want to call HP and ask if the BIOS now supports the 3870K. It's not listed, but they are known for not being expeditious about updating their CPU support list.
You can change it out yourself easily. the CPU substrate has a gold triangle in one corner. You line that up with the embossed triangle on the socket tension plate and drop it in. (make sure you lift the tension lever to install, and lock it back down after the APU is in)

Ah I see....I will think about giving them a call before finalizing a purchase. Worst comes to worst I can buy the latest my motherboard can handle in the list:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103942

Do you think I will have enough power running to everything with a 600w supply fueling my gtx 560 etc?
Also I watched a video somewhere about newegg, installing a cpu. Think he mentioned something about running this program that worked the thermal paste on a new heatsink that came with a cpu for best performance. Will I have to do this?

If I had the money for all this I would buy new everything but ya know...not swimming in cash.

Depending on the heatsink you get, it may come with a thermal pad. If it does scrape it off with a credit card and clean it with alcohol, the pads are not very good quality. Just put a section of TIM in the middle of the IHS about the size of an overcooked grain of rice.
The 600W PSU should be enough for your 560Ti yes.

Really is it that bad that I would have to apply my own? I was planning on just popping everything in...I was hoping on the fact it came with a thermal pad.

You can certainly use the pad if you want, they just tend to cheap out on the pre-applied. using a good TIM usually makes a 5-7c difference. but by all means if your not comfortable doing it. use the pad :)

I would be comfortable if I did this process beforehand. But yea I wanna make it as easy as possible for me =]. As of now I think I will just settle for a nice 2.9ghz which is a leap from my 2.2...and if im ballsy enough ill upgrade the heatsink to support my my processor if I decide to oc it. I just don't wanna risk melting my components. As I said before, it's quite snug in there. Blame that on my fat psu.

Also keep in mind. The bios are locked of any kind of settings for changing voltage and so forth on these boards. So as far as over clocking. I don't think you would be able to. It will recognize your new CPU though.

Ah thanks for the tip. Wasn't really planning on overclocking this anyway. Next step was a whole new rig. Hp is pretty weird with their comps. I now understand why gamers build their own computers. Well with my current card and my soon to be new processor I should be able to chew through most games I wanna play with a nice frame rate increase. Which is a cool bonus =].

Hp dell gateway all do this now, Best bet as you said build your own. Yes you should see much better performance once you change your cpu. Good Luck hope every thing goes well.

Ah yes thank you all for your help. And im glad to finally meet someone in the same boat as me computer wise....with an almost identical setup(560 gtx). Hopefully I can get the money I need soon and maybe sometime this month I will install the bad boy. Ill post back here later if something else comes up. :)

I've looked through this thread and you mention anxiety about cooling issues with your current case. It seems to me you should consider working a gaming type case into your upgrade cadence. This especially in light of the high performance video card. You would be able to install the HP components into an aftermarket unit, and have a case ready to go if/when you decide to retire it. The bonus is you'll have a cool running system in the meantime

I've looked through this thread and you mention anxiety about cooling issues with your current case. It seems to me you should consider working a gaming type case into your upgrade cadence. This especially in light of the high performance video card. You would be able to install the HP components into an aftermarket unit, and have a case ready to go if/when you decide to retire it. The bonus is you'll have a cool running system in the meantime

The only problem is, he was very reluctant to apply thermal paste. :p Pulling apart every component and putting it back in a new case is a whole new game!

Back