Will an HD 7850 run on a 430W PSU?

By spencer
Jan 23, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. The name says it all, I'm planning to build a gaming computer,

the cpu will be a fx 6100

an asrock extreme 3 mobo

and sapphire 1gb 7850 gfx card

and plan on gaming at 1080p and wonder if I should get 1gb or 2 of vram?

the psu is a corsair builder 430w with bronze certification

any comments or questions would be welcomed(y)

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,256   +1,550

Sure but there is no guarantees how stable it will be when the system requirements are 500W. You would probably be fine until you maxed out CPU and GPU usage. Personally I wouldn't recommend trying it out. If you don't stay within requirements, your whole system is placed on a gambling table because there is no telling which or how many of the components could be damaged. It all depends on what is damaged first and how it effects the rest of the system, as to the additional damage that could be done.

AMD Radeon™ HD 7850 Graphics - System Requirements

3. spencer

spencer TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 204   +22

Ok ill get 500w, do you think on 1 gb of vram would be good enough for 1080p

4. nissanman

nissanman TS Maniac Posts: 362

You do not need to get a new power supply. That Corsair is a good quality power supply and is more than adequate for a single 7850. You could probably even get some overclocking done with it. AMD's requirements are more or less just general guidelines. They aren't an absolute must have.

As for 1080p gaming with 1GB of VRAM, that will be fine. I only have 1GB of VRAM and it is fine.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.