Will BIOS gone if CMOS battery is left till it's dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxman

Hi folks!

I have a question. Will BIOS gets corrupted if CMOS battery is left dead for a while? The reason I ask is because I bought a P4 mobo from vendor and it is an non-retailer box. Apparently when I receive the mobo, I tested the CMOS battery is dead and when I put everything together, there is no POST or beep at all coming from the mobo but power light and fan are on. Any idea?

I suspect the BIOS is corrupted because the baterry is left dead for too long. Is my theory correct? Please advice. Thanks.

"I suspect the BIOS is corrupted because the baterry is left dead for too long. Is my theory correct?"...

I would say yes. This doesn't happen all the time, but in your case, after a new battery was installed, no POST is a bad sign... Did you try resetting the CMOS by moving a motherboard jumper? Is the CPU and memory supported by the motherboards model? Was the CMOS battery totally dead or did it show some DC voltage?

I just repaired a Compaq desktop computer that was built in September 1999. It had an AMD K6 550MHz CPU. The CMOS battery was bad, but it still showed 1.3 volts DC. It should have been 3.0 volts. A new battery brought this old baby back to life

Yes, I tried resetting the CMOS with the jumper but still not showing any sign of life. The CMOS battery was really dead, dead when I measure it with a battery tester. I believe the motherboard should support my Pentium 4 processor but I will contact ASUS tech support to confirm it. But even if the mobo does not support the processor, when I tested it without the processor and memory, it does not make any beep sound or anything. Shouldn't there be a been sound at least??

BTW, this is my 3 mobo from the vendor. It was an OEM that I purchased not a retail box. I will trouble shoot with ASUS tech support today when I get home to find out what the culprit is.

"Shouldn't there be a been sound at least??"...

The CPU has to be installed, but the memory can be missing for the "beeps" to be heard

yeah, tried that as well but no beep........

If the CPU is not compatible to the mobo, will it create this result also? with blank screen and no beep?

OK Did you make sure the CMOS jumper was on pins 1-2, or did you just move the jumper and then move it back to the pins it was on when you received it? Is the 4 pin Pentium4 power connector attached to the mobo? Have you checked the PSU to make sure it's putting out the right voltage? If the fan spins up the 12V is probably OK. The light on the mobo is the +5V standby voltage light. make sure the +5V and +3.3V lines are OK as well. And make sure the cooler is seated well on the CPU and the CPU fan is plugged in.

Yes, I did make sure that the jumper pin is 1-2 and when I cleared the CMOS by moving to 2-3, I did power off the AC power and let it stay for about 10 sec and move it back to 1-2 position. Power for CPU is working fine and in fact I tried using a different power supply and same result I get. I am really getting annoyed here. My thought is the BIOS does not support my CPU as according to Asus tech support, that I might need the version 1002 but I would need a lower CPU in order to run it so I could update the BIOS but it really not worth the hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back