Will cooler backplate touch mobo contacts?

By bmad
Nov 20, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am about to replace the stock Intel cpu cooler on my Asus P5Q Pro motherboard. I am concerned about a cooler backplate touching the contacts on the back of the board.
    this quote from a xbitlabs.com review of the P5Q Pro - has a photo of the back of the board
    "However, I have to stress that there are a few standing out contacts on the reverse side of the PCB right beneath the processor socket, which may cause certain problems if the CPU cooler requires a backplate."

I would prefer a cooler that uses a backplate. However, I don't wan't to buy a cooler and discover too late that the exposed contacts are a problem.

Anyone have a P5Q Pro and installed a cooler with backplate?

Thanks

Ausus P5Q Pro
    Intel Q9550
    16GB G.Skill RAM
    PowerColor ATI Radeon 4670
    Two 500GB Seagate HDs
    2 DVD drives
    Corsair 650W PSU
    Antec Solo case
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,673   +152

Since you posted the warning about possible problems using a backplate on this motherboard, you better not use one. Or risk trashing the motherboard...

On the other hand, If it is a true LGA775 board, go with a quality cooler like the ZeroTherm Nirvana. It has an insulated metal backplate
  3. bmad

bmad Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Well, you have pointed to one of issues I was wondering about - how insulating are the insulated metal backplates? I read postings on silentpcreview forum describing suspected shorting out of an Asus board with the backplate from a Thermalright HR-01 Plus. I wanted to get the Thermalright SI-128 SE - same backplate. Don't know if the insulating strips are OK to have pressing against contacts. Don't know if different backplates would have less effect - such as the Cooler Master shown in attached photo. Images from xbitlab review of the SI-128 SE and Cooler Master V8.

I know I can get a cooler that doesn't use a backplate - OCZ Vendetta 2 for example. But after wrestling with the intel style push pins in the past, I swore that I would never get another cooler that didn't use a backplate. Also, backplate lessens stress a heavy cooler puts on the mb.
  4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,673   +152

My Nirvana backplate is like your pictured Cooler Master... I can't imagine that either of these will cause trouble with the P5Q. I too despise those "push pins", although I have gotten good at installing them. For my own builds I always use a backplate type cooler
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.