Will Crossfire fix my troubles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tongan

I recently ran into a bit of trouble with my current GFX card...(Something literally exploded, letting off a puff of smoke), however there was no side-effect other than these random black squares that flash all over the screen whenever I'm playing games such as M2:TW and crysis.

The tiny squares are a bit annoying, and I was wondering whether hooking up another 4870 to my current rig will fix up the problem. I really have no idea, but was thinking that maybe the second card would cover up any faults the other might have.??

Any help is appreciated.

I'm afraid that it will not fix your problems. A second card would not be able to cover up problems caused by a first card, especially if the first card is physically damaged like yours is. Unfortunately, you'll probably just have to get a second card to replace the first, not run in tandem with it.

I'm with MetalX on this one. There is no reason to believe adding another HD4870 will help cover problems with the first card when the first card is physically damaged. I sure hope there's a warranty on that HD4870 because you're gonna need to replace it.

Oh Crap...
The problem is, I bought it at a computer fair...No warranty. Will they take it back if I just say it was faulty?
If not...does adding another card reduce strain on the original card at least?
Because it's also getting extremely hot on just one side of the card (The side which had the mini-explosion), even when I'm just sitting on Windows desktop. CCC doesn't report it, but when I feel it with my hand, it's like a hot-plate.

So black squares aside, (I know this is probably a bad idea) does crossfire lower overall temps? (Assuming I don't get a refund and I put up with the little black squares)

Thanks in advance, and sorry for my noobishness.

Oh Crap...
The problem is, I bought it at a computer fair...No warranty. Will they take it back if I just say it was faulty?
If not...does adding another card reduce strain on the original card at least?
Because it's also getting extremely hot on just one side of the card (The side which had the mini-explosion), even when I'm just sitting on Windows desktop. CCC doesn't report it, but when I feel it with my hand, it's like a hot-plate.

So black squares aside, (I know this is probably a bad idea) does crossfire lower overall temps? (Assuming I don't get a refund and I put up with the little black squares)

Thanks in advance, and sorry for my noobishness.

I would not try to fix an exploded card by buying another one to sit beside it. Using physically damaged hardware is definitely not recommended, since it may cause other components to become damaged as well (depending on precisely what blew, but it is a risk).

Crossfire may lower temperatures for each card, assuming the load is spread evenly and you don't go higher on application settings. But if you do that, wouldn't it just make more sense to take the second card you plan on buying and just replace the first ?

Crossfire will not help, and will just add to the ambient temps inside the case. Either return the card and get a new one, or throw it away and buy another one. You have no other choice.

Yeah true...I guess I'm just really pissed (and desperate), as I only bought this rig like a month ago and was looking forward to a smooth computing experience.

I'll probably just see if I can somehow weasle a replacement card out of the company I bought the damn thing from (If that's possible without a warranty?) or buy a new one.

Thanks fella's for your time and help on such a black day.:( ($380 down the drain)
Very much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back