TechSpot

Will Ferrell: Semi Pro

By Wheety
Mar 18, 2008
Post New Reply
  1. I'm not a huge fan of Will Ferrell, although I do like some of his movies. But does anyone else think he's runing out of ideas with Semi Pro. It seems to me that in a lot of his films, especially ones involving sport, the characters are very similar? Something happens to make him lose his way, then after some soul searching he comes back and comes good in the end. It usually involves a lot of shouting and running around naked too.

Talladega Nights and Blades of Glory are two that stick in my head but it also happens in Anchorman and Old School.

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Perhaps the worst movie of the year. Will Ferrell is simply too old for that kind of fluff, and he can no longer carry it off. I think he is about 41 now, and you lose something when you get old and stoopid.

3. Swordey

Swordey TS Rookie

I was disapointed :[

4. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,670   +1,871

It will be a rental soon enough......

I'll ring back in on "Semi Pro" then. Meantime, Will Ferrell usually just annoys me out of my wits. IE, him and Sheri Oteri in that relentless boring and banal cheerleading sketch on SNL. I did however, laugh myself sick at "Blades of Glory", I give him 3 & 3/4 stars on that one. Well, about the first two thirds of it.

5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,704   +397

He was pretty good in Stranger Than Fiction, and he wasn't relying on his SNL comedy in that movie.

Plus Maggie Gyllenhaal was looking the best she ever has.

6. raybay

One sense of humor is as good as another.

7. lonerider

lonerider TS Rookie

yea all his movies seem like they are goin thru the same routine...jz different whacky characters

8. raybay

The problem is that Will Ferrell has outlived his usefulness.
    At age 41, and fat, he is no longer funny to most of the audiences... watch how his reviews and viewership has dropped over the past 18 months.... it is not just a case of bad material.

9. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,704   +397

Thats why I suggested watching Stranger Than Fiction, its got him in it, but its a step away from his normal routine. Much like how Jim Carrey stepped out of his normal roles when he did Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

10. d1ngess

d1ngess TS Rookie

I believe that Ferrel said that he's gonna stop making sports movies... athough I do believe talladega nights was of the funniest movies I've seen, I also like Step brothers a whole lot

11. tw0rld

tw0rld TS Maniac Posts: 572   +6

I usually love Will Ferrel movies, but semi-pro just plain sucks, and so does blades of glory. Loved Step Brothers.

12. raybay

Will Ferrell, at 42, is much too old to be funny in these junk movies... A good sign of old age is when you bolt for the door to leave the theater before a Will Ferrell movie has reached the mid-point. He was funny once, when he was younger and so was I... but it is difficult to find any redeaming features of any of his movies.... just dumb site gags and preposterous situations.

Will Ferrell is just not funny. Though some of the movie concepts can get a chuckle.

13. Spyder_1386

Spyder_1386 TS Rookie Posts: 498

It's become commonplace to associate Will Farrell with that sort of role .... crazy and ridiculous .... you tend to remember a few hilarious moments in all of his movies and maybe even repeat some of his lines to your friends.... The unfortunate part is, the movie can't sustain the humour right through, which is what makes a good comedy....

Spyder_1386

14. justinkeith

justinkeith TS Rookie Posts: 20

people say the same about Steve Carell but i still think he is just hilarious