Will I lose my software after OS reinstall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to reinstall Vista on my P.C. I need to know if I do this will I lose all of my software/work, or will it still be there when I get back in? If it won't is there anyway to back up my work without being able to get into windows? Thank you for any help.

If by reinstall you mean complete reinstall instead of a repair or something, yes everything including files and documents will die.
without being able to get into windows?
Why is that? And yes it is possible but a lot trickier.

Vista should offer a repair install option, if you do this, your software installations should be unscathed. However, should you do a reformat full reinstall, the HDD will be wiped, and everything on the drive will be lost.

If you are in a situation where the machine no longer boots, you can download a copy of Ubuntu Linux, and do a "live run" (the OS runs directly from the CD drive), and copy your data to a flash drive, external HDD, or burn it to DVD should you be fortunate enough to have a dual DVD/CD drive computer.

Doing a live run of Linux does require that the CD/DVD must be first in the boot order.

As HK said, it's a bit trickier, and I suspect more questions will be forthconing. Oh, well, that's what we're here for.

Hopefully you still have the installation discs to your software.

Ubuntu Linux is avai;able here; http://www.ubuntu.com/ The download ia an ISO file and It must be burned to dics as an "image". "Imgburn" is a free program available for download here at Techspot that will accomplish this task for you.

And never install software from the net without saving the installer to disc. That really is the fastest way to "lose all your programs" in case of a meltdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back