TechSpot

Will my car amp power my speakers and subwoofer?

By ryan patrick
Aug 19, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I have a Dual XPE2700 400 Watt 2-channel amplifier, and am currently running two 6x9 polk audio 125 watt rms and 300 watt max speakers.. As of now, the amp is plenty powerful..can my amp I power an MTX TM1004 10" 200w rms 600 watt peak power subwoofer in addition to those two speakers??

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,249   +1,549

Yes the amp you have will power the speakers but only provide 400W shared between all of them. By adding extra speakers to the circuit, your 6x9's may not be as loud as they were previously.

You should pay close attention to the resistance level of how you wire the speakers. A 4 Ohm stable amplifier will not drive speakers wired for 2 Ohm. A 2 Ohm speaker configuration will pull too much power from a 4 Ohm amplifier. I've not looked up the specifications for the amp you mentioned, just remember to keep the speaker resistance above the capabilities of the amp.

3. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +99

If it was me I'd power the sub with the amp and leave the 6x9's to the stereo to amplify. They won't be as loud, but you can tune the amp to suit your tastes, and knock the bass off of the 6x9's to compensate -- that'll allow you to run them louder without distortion whilst you'll get plenty of bass from the sub.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.