Will my car amp power my speakers and subwoofer?

I have a Dual XPE2700 400 Watt 2-channel amplifier, and am currently running two 6x9 polk audio 125 watt rms and 300 watt max speakers.. As of now, the amp is plenty powerful..can my amp I power an MTX TM1004 10" 200w rms 600 watt peak power subwoofer in addition to those two speakers??
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]

Yes the amp you have will power the speakers but only provide 400W shared between all of them. By adding extra speakers to the circuit, your 6x9's may not be as loud as they were previously.

You should pay close attention to the resistance level of how you wire the speakers. A 4 Ohm stable amplifier will not drive speakers wired for 2 Ohm. A 2 Ohm speaker configuration will pull too much power from a 4 Ohm amplifier. I've not looked up the specifications for the amp you mentioned, just remember to keep the speaker resistance above the capabilities of the amp.

If it was me I'd power the sub with the amp and leave the 6x9's to the stereo to amplify. They won't be as loud, but you can tune the amp to suit your tastes, and knock the bass off of the 6x9's to compensate -- that'll allow you to run them louder without distortion whilst you'll get plenty of bass from the sub.

The cheapest way would be to wire the speakers from the high output of the player. And then wire sub amplifier to the low output, usually RCA connections.

To be honest there is several ways to configure your amplification circuits. And without knowing what our options are there is no correct answer. Not all players or amplifiers wire the same. Sometimes adapters need to be used to bridge connections. The question of how can only be generically answered, when the available options are unknown.

Fyi: lower frequency notes (aka bass ) takes more power and will consume more power than mid-range and tweeters. In serious systems, bass and sub-bass are frequently powered independently from everything else so as to not introduce power fluctuations in the other devices.

Back