Will PSU cause overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

rev_olie

Hi :approve:,

Just a quick one. In my latest build that Ive been using since built it in September last year Ive got plugged in a Philips SPA1300 PC multimedia speaker sys. Now in the last PC these were absolutely fine and up to now they have been fine.

However all of a sudden the front right speaker has been crackling. But that's the start.
If i unplug that the rear (looking at the PC screen)left speaker starts. Then after a few minutes or if i unplug the rear left the front left crackers. However the rear right never does.
Is there are a reason for this. Also the seem to occasionally on the left hands side a sudden buzzing that passes over the left range front to rear.

This is leading me to believe its something in the PC and now the Amp/Sub woofer.

Just out of curiosity could the power supply be causing this?
Its a Casecom PSU (can be seen in my case pictures i have in the techspot gallery) but its been taken off ebuyer and cant find it on Google and I'm not at the PC at the moment to look for the product code.

When i touch the back of the Amp it seems to be very hot could this be linked also or is it just that's the speakers are a couple of years old?

Hope someone can help

"When i touch the back of the Amp it seems to be very hot could this be linked also or is it just that's the speakers are a couple of years old?"...

The AMP shouldn't be that hot... Can you try another sound system for test purposes

Unfortunately not.
It was merely to see whether it was the amp or something else and i know what you mean about the amp. There’s barely anything going through (i get complaints if the sounds to high) and its just weird that its getting hot all of a sudden after 2 years

Is there a way you can test the sound out on something other than your computer? For example, a stereo system, or a cd player, something like that.

Output amps can easily exceed 65c.
It appears your speaker system has reached the end of its useful product life. This sometimes happens when it has been over-driven by excessive volume. Computer sound units are extremely fragile at higher volumes.
If the unit exhibits the same issues on another computer, it is time to replace the sound or speaker unit.
The crackling noise is the main cue, not the heat.

Three possible culprits:
- the AMP iteself;
- sound card;
- electric interference.

PSU is not likely to cause anything like that - if anything, you would hear the same sound in all of the speakers.

Try using earphones to see if there's any cracking sound from sound card. When possible try your sound system on other source (iPod, CD player, etc.).

Thanks for the replies,

- The sound is aboard so that’s no problem

- Tested each output from OB sound and no crackling

- Took the PC to a different room with no other electrical devices and there’s no change

- Tested on another PC, same issue.

Seems to only do this after about 2 hours of use not straight away, Also only seem to be recently after using FSX so maybe the slight sound increase has taken it over the top.
Bummer but at least its not to expensive to replace.
Does anyone know of any setups like the one I have under about £40?
Don’t know whether I’m going to be trusting Phillips again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back