Will that laptop run Vista well?

By Ruben
Apr 23, 2007
  1. Purposes: watching movies, 2D graphics calculations, multimedia like watching movies etc.

AMD® Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL52
    1024MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x512)
    120GB (5400rpm) SATA Hard Drive
    256MB ATI ® Radeon® Xpress 1150 HyperMemory (integrated)

Thanks for any opinions
  2. halo71

halo71 TS Rookie Posts: 1,090

You should have no problem running Vista on that. However I would recommend, if your budget allows, 2gig's of memory. I have pretty much that same set up on a Gateway laptop, it ran okay with 1 gig, but much better with 2.

I bet Vista on 512mb, like Best Buys is selling really runs crappy!
  3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

even XP will run mediocre with 512mb
  4. halo71

halo71 TS Rookie Posts: 1,090

erm, I have to disagree. I have a old Compaq laptop running XP Pro with 256mb, runs like a dream. But I have seen Vista on 1gb and it ran like a 3 legged dog.
  5. rmdl51

rmdl51 TS Maniac Posts: 244

IMHO, depends on the complete setup of the computer, nobody can blame only the RAM if it's running crappy. I've installed XP on a Laptop P III with 256 SDRAM and runs pretty good, of course not as good as a new computer with Core 2 Duo or Turion64x2 but runs good accordingly with the hardware-software you are using.
    Also you could install 2 GB of RAM on a 2.0Ghz celeron and the results won't be as great as a system with 1GB on a E4300 and that's just talking about XP, for Vista even tough I Don't have many setups to try it. I'm at work using Vista with a P4 2.8Ghz 1GB Ram and runs pretty good, (maybe because I don't have Aero but runs fast), and at Home I'm Using Vista on a Celeron 2.6Ghz with 1GB DDR and ATI 9600XT without any lags (and Aero is installed on this setup).
    Back in the subject about the Laptop I believe it will run Vista pretty good, It's just my guess, but I believe so because it has a good CPU, Ram it's working on Dual Channel (2x512) and has ATI, not the best one but at least is not an Intel GMA.
  6. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,975   +9

Vista will run well on your computer :D ! Good Luck with it :wave: !
  7. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 3,481   +44

these turion processors are no good for vista I think. I'm walkin around Best Buy and I see vista on all of their machines, even the newest ones, lagging, and bad. Dont skimp on the laptop if you want to run vista. Just because a laptop says vista ready doesnt mean it runs vista well.
  8. zipperman

zipperman TS Rookie Posts: 1,179   +7

Go to
    They have a test for "Is my PC Vista ready" or something similar.
  9. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,975   +9

P3's can run Vista reasonably well. It's not neccesarily only the CPU, and the Turion isn't a bad one either.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.