Will this build be compatible?

Atham

I am planning on building my own PC. I would like it to last for about 2 or 3 years and run games well. Will this be good enough?

Here are the specs that might be used:

CPU Intel i5 2500k -188,30 €
MotherBoard ASUS P8P67-M PRO (rev 3.0 - 129,81 €
CPU Cooler CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series H50 - 69,84 €
GPU MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III Power Edition/OC - 252.89 €
RAM CORSAIR 8GB KIT DDR3 1600MHz - 77,02 €
PSU CORSAIR CX600 - 57,26€
Case CoolerMaster Dominator CM 690 Lite II Black - 77,51€
HDD SAMSUNG SpinPoint EcoGreen F2 1500GB - 62.69 €
DVD drive SONY Optiarc AD-7260S - 17.74 €

If you have any suggestions for improvements please tell me.

Thanks in advance

Looks a nice build, don't think you'll have a problem installing the power supply as the CX600 is a standard size unit. Depending on your budget, you might consider a Western Digital Caviar Black, pretty reliable and come in 1, 1.5 & 2TB capacities. As far as the DVD, there are quite a few choices including Lite-On, Samsung, ASUS & LG which should work for you. Depending on your budget, Plextor makes a nice CD/DVD Burner for just a bit more money.

I would make the following change to it:

AM3+ motherboard: http://www.alza.sk/gigabyte-990fxa-ud3-d241217.htm

It supports your CPU, but at the same time supports the new up and coming Bulldozer AM3+ CPU. Getting the other motherboard is buying previous generation (once BD is released).

Hard Disk. I would go with either 1, or two 1TB Samsung SpinPoint F3 7,200rpm disks. Link to it here: http://www.alza.sk/samsung-spinpoint-f3-1000gb-d154993.htm

DVD Disc, is one of two types:

DVD R/W SATA for burning DVD's
BD-ROM or BD-RW SATA for reading, and or writting Blue Ray discs

Should I wait for the Radeon HD 7000 series. I want this PC build to last for about 2 years

"Once BD is released" = I was referring to the release of the Bulldozer series of CPUs - sorry for the confusion.

Possibly, but if is the case i would wait for benchmarks against Sandy Bridge before commiting to purchases.

At the very least, if you choose to upgrade now get a AM3+ motherboard like the one I linked in my first reply. That way, you will literally just fit a new CPU from the "Bull dozer" lineup later on.

Do you plan on overclocking, or fitting an aftermarket CPU cooler?

CPU Cooler CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series H50

What do you mean by the bull dozer lineup. Are they coming this year? Because once the PC is built, I don't think my dad would be happy if I was to get a new component.

Sandy Bridge benchmarks?

CPU Cooler CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series H50

What do you mean by the bull dozer lineup. Are they coming this year? Because once the PC is built, I don't think my dad would be happy if I was to get a new component.

Sandy Bridge benchmarks?

Sorry I missed that when replying, have quite a bit on my mind recently - sorry for this.

Bulldozer is the new AMD range of CPUs due for release any time around now - but its been delayed on god knows how many different separate occasions previously.

If it was me I would wait for them to be released, and then build a new system, or if the price is beyond reach, you could use the extra discounts on the 6 core AMD CPU's your looking at when you make your order.

Until they're released comparing them officially with Intel "Sandy Bridge" generation CPU's will be difficult.

I'll let others chime in here, as they know significantly more than me regarding release dates, and benchmark links etc.

Oh shoot. I wish I had a good processor before summer, so I can game during summer!!

Aren't there any leaks or stuff about the bulldozer?

I was thinking also about swapping a hd 6870 for the 6850. Will it make a difference or should I go for the 6950 2 GB?

If I was to choose that card, would I have to choose a different PSU?

Your power supply will have no problem with the 6950, which would be a good choice for gaming. As Leeky mentioned, going with a AM3+ motherboard with the 990 chipset would leave you the option of installing a Bulldozer processor down the road.

Unfortunately, there's really not much solid information on the release date of Bulldozer since the official announcement that it was being delayed in early June.

Your best bang for the buck is the i5-2500K chip on a sandy bridge enabled board. And it will run cooler and therefore will be less noisy.

what about the i7 series? is the i5 2500k better? I would like six cores. How many cores does i5 2600k have? Is there a better i5?

The i7 2600K supports Hyper Threading (2 Threads Per Core) whereas the i5 2500K does not. But the i7 2600K is about $100 more, depends on your budget ... if you've got the money then the 2600K would be the way to go.

I guess. So what CPU? I would like 6 cores. The AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition seems got for the six cores. Hmm... or the i7 2600k or the i5-2500K.

The intel is more expensive though. Is i7 really worth the extra money or even i5 worth the extra money then if I choose the Phenom II X6 1100T?

I am at school and don't have time to read it. So what does it say?

Is the i5 2500k worth 15 Euros more than the Phenom II x6 1100T?

And wouldn't I have to get a different motherboard for the intel CPUs?

Anything from Asus in my book - but tell us what chip you have chosen first and perhaps how much memory you want and what graphics set up you are considering. And that's just for starters...

Ed - well maybe Gigabyte as well if you insist.

Chip? The intel i5 2500k

CPU cooler = CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series H50
Case = CoolerMaster Dominator CM 690 Lite II Black

Back