Will this computer work?

By Antrephel
Jun 6, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I'm building a new computer and I just wanted you all to check and confirm that it will all work in the end. I've build 1 computer in the past and it works great but I'm still getting the hang of it. This is meant to be a gaming computer that will run the newest games for years to come.

Case - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower -
    Hard Drive - (2 of these) - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache -
    Motherboard - ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ AMD -
    PCI -
    Graphics - MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti -
    Sound - ASUS XONAR_DG 5.1 Channels PCI Interface Xonar DG Sound Card -
    PCU -
    Speakers -
    Keyboard -
    Mouse -
    RAM -
    CPU - AMD FX-8120 -
    CPU cooler -
    OS - Windows 7
    Disk Drive -
    SSD (for win7) -
    Monitor -

Thanks fr your help guys!
  2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,526   +830

That all looks like it will work well.
    Although, I would say that personally I would prefer 12 GB of 1866 or 1600 ram instead of 16 of 1333. Its not a big deal, its just I dont imagine anyone will be using 16GB anytime soon.
  3. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,706   +170

Case: don't get the Antec 900, it's an old design which attracts lots of dust. The Corsair Carbide series has excellent cable management and dust filters.

Mobo/CPU: go with Intel, you can get a 3570K + Z77 mobo for the same price as what you picked.

GPU: You need something more than a GTX 560Ti to max out the latest games. If you really want to play the latest games for years to come then consider a GTX 670. In any case the 2GB 560Ti you picked is not a good choice as it won't offer any more performance than the 1GB version at 1080p. For $250 you can get the GTX 570 or HD 7850.

RAM: 16GB may be overkill but RAM is very cheap at the moment and prices have actually started going up recently so 16GB might not be a bad idea.

SSD: get a 128GB drive, 64GB is uncomfortably small. The Samsung 830 probably the best SSD out there but the Crucial m4 is not far behind and you can get a 128GB m4 for $125.
  4. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TS Evangelist Posts: 851   +201

Yeah the GTX 560TI will not top you out for modern games. Id recommend getting rid of the Sound card and speakers to free up some cash for a better GPU.I doubt you will miss them. Especially if they were sacrificed for a better GPU.

Also, If I were you Id swap out your PSU with this one.

As for the WIFI adapter, if you have a Ethernet to hardline your desktop, Id get rid of that as well. That's about $45 bucks you can put back into a different component such as the GPU. This is a gaming PC so you really want a good card.

Other then that. It looks like Slh28 has covered everything else.
  5. Antrephel

Antrephel TS Rookie Topic Starter

6. slh28

If you want to save a bit you can get the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard, it overclocks well and also has two PCI-E 3.0 slots running at x8x8 in case you think about SLI/CF in the future.

You appear to have linked the GPU to the same url as the case...

By the way if you're interested in online gaming you really should think of a way of getting a wired connection, e.g. move your router next to the PC, but obviously only if it's logistically possible.
  7. Antrephel

Antrephel TS Rookie Topic Starter

8. slh28

Yep, build looks great. Good luck!
  9. PC nerd

PC nerd TS Booster Posts: 317   +41

Bulldozer.... Ehhhhh...
  10. Blkfx1

11. PC nerd

PC nerd TS Booster Posts: 317   +41

Ivy Bridge? Other than the heat issues, that's a good move.

Might want a non-reference 670. Reference GPYs are so loud and hot.
  12. Blkfx1

Indeed, As long as the OP isn't trying to achieve some super high OC's I wouldn't worry about that too much.
  13. hood6558

hood6558 TS Addict Posts: 240   +58

Good choices! Looks exactly like the build I have in mind for myself except I cheaped out and got the 400R case already to hold my current build. BTW, your GPU link is to your case, so I don't know what you picked.