Will this video card work with my rig?

A friend let me have his old video card and I want to know if it's compatible with my computer or if the video card doesn't work because i hooked it up to my computer and when I try to install the driver for it the driver installation is stopped because it doesn't detect it.

Specs:
Processor: Intel Celeron 450
Mother Board: Intel G41 Chipset
Ram: 2gb ddr2

Video card friend gave me

PNY Geforce 250 gts 1gb ddr3

Thanks in advance for any help :D

Does it work as far as showing your desktop? Is the 6 pin PCI-E power connector hooked up? What driver version are you trying to install?

it doesn't show on my computer,the fan on the card is spinning if that answer the second question, and this is the driver Im trying to install
nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-285.62-whql-driver

What I'm asking is, when your monitor is connected to the graphics card at the back, is your monitor showing any picture or image?

My second question was not if the fan was spinning but did you connect the external 6 pin PCI-E connector to the power supply? The graphics card uses two power sources, one is through the PCI-E slot and the other is through the external PCI-E connector.

no nothing shows up, the monitor goes to sleep

and my power supply doesn't have a 6 pin pci e cable coming out of it, going to open it up and see if it even has a slot, could that be it, a new power supply?

The video card won't work if it has a 6 pin connector and you don't power it. If your power supply doesn't have a 6 pin PCI-E connector, it might not have enough minimum power to power the card. If it does have enough power, you can buy an adapter that uses two old style molex connectors to convert to a single PCI-E connector.

What is your power supply brand, model and wattage? Also important is the amps on the 12V rail or rails. This information should be on a sticker on the side of the power supply itself which you should see when you open the case. The minimum power supply recommended for that graphics card is 450W or greater with a minimum 12V current rating of 24A.

As an aside, I have a PNY Geforce GTX 260 in one of my older PCs. It takes two 6 pin PCI-E connectors. I really like it though considering its age.

Back