Will this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813131517R
Model #: A8N-SLI Deluxe
Item #: N82E16813131517R

pqi POWER Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model MD441GUOE-X2 - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820141212
Model #: MD441GUOE-X2
Item #: N82E16820141212

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego 2.4GHz Socket 939 Processor Model ADA4000DAA5BN - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819103528
Model #: ADA4000DAA5BN
Item #: N82E16819103528

Evercool K801-825CA 80mm one ball K8 Aluminum Cooling Fan/Heatsink - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16835119005
Model #: K801-825CA
Item #: N82E16835119005

Im thinking about the X1950 PRO PCI for the video card but i want to make sure the rest will all fit together before i decide on one

I put this together off newegg, i found the best prices there. I want to make sure that everything will fit together and work after i buy it. I did my best to make sure it was all compatible but i would like people with more knowledge look at it for me. Any suggestions would be very appreciated!

Thanks ahead of time!

Yes, your parts will work together nicely. What PSU are you looking at? Don't rule that out as a key part in your system.

By the way, it is always tricky deciding when to buy a new system verses waiting for future hardware releases, but I personally would wait a little longer. I say this to you assuming you are a hardcore gamer (judging by the graphics card you are looking at).

DX10 is big. It is a massive upgrade to the graphics, and is just around the corner. We are already seeing the hardware come out for it, and the games are on the way. From what is being said amoung the community, the DX10 difference is a huge jump from DX9.

If there is any way you can squeeze out some life of your current system, you'll be glad you did.

The DX10 graphics cards require very powerful CPUs, nothing less that the new Intel core 2 duo at this point, until AMD comes up with something competitive. You are looking at buying a 939 system, one that is already one generation behind. Even if you upgrade to a DX10 card in the future, your CPU will not have the power to really allow the DX10 cards to do their job.

That's my two yen (I am in Japan ;) )

That stuff is all compatible, but your socket 939 processor and motherboard are kind of outdated. If you do decide to go with that setup, though, I wouldn't go with an open box item, like the board you chose. go with the new retail version of the A8N-SLI Deluxe, like this. I'd recommend going with an Intel Core 2 Duo setup with DDR2 RAM, though, something like this:

ASUS P5L-VM motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 processor

Corsair ValueSelect 1GB (2x512MB) DDR2 533 RAM

And this processor, being a retail version, comes with a cooler.

hope this helps
--kitty

I wouldn't go so far as to call the 939 platform outdated. It is still extremely fast, and more than enough for today's applications. It equals the speed of the AM2 platform, but lacks the upgrade options. For people on a budget, the 939 platform is still a great choice. I agree with you that the Core 2 Duo is a much better platform in every way, but not everyone has that kind of budget.

As for the open box motherboard, I personally look for those when buying. I don't need a box, I just want the hardware. That is an OEM board, and exactly the same as one in a box, minus the box. You can download the manual online, and most of the cables you need come with the other parts you buy. That plus I have billions of extra cables lying around ;)

Oem parts are not for everyone, but for some people they are the best way to go, as it brings your costs down.

Ok.
I never bought from Newegg; I just heard about them and read good reviews and stuff. On their website, they said something about open box stuff sometimes being damaged or something; I just kind of assumed that often stuff will have missing components or something, whoops :)

Yeah, 939 stuff is still fast; but if I had the budget (not necessarily a small factor ;)), I would probably go core2duo.
problem is, my budget for building a desktop right now is about 0 US dollars (or 'yen' :D)
--kitty

WOW! thanks so much for the feedback! If i go with the core2duo will that be ok for the DX10 cards when they come out? I dont have the money buy parts when they come out right away, i usually shop 2nd gen, but you made very good points. I havent looked at a PSU yet because i need to decide on a chip etc first so i can tell how big of one i need to buy. The OEM stuff is ok with me from the reliable sources (i have had very good luck with newegg before) and yea it helps keep costs down. I want to build a machine where i can play the new games on it and be able to play the games that are coming out. So yea i am trying to look at the higher end gaming parts. But thanks again, i am very impressed with the feedback i am getting from this site!

core2duo would support DX10 cards; the nVidia GeForce 8800 series cards do actually support dx10, but they are the only ones as far as I know.
I'd recommend something like a 550w power supply, unless you would do SLI w/your video cards.

if it was me recomending a a power supply I would say to go atleast to 700w and be sure to get a good brand. often times the PS is the life of the system, and if you thought u might consider a sli setup in the futher, I would even reccomend a 1000w.

Personally, I would get the highest watt power supply possible. I only have a 680w power supply and I am a little worried sometimes! If you are a SLi enthusiast with huge 350w consuming card be sure to get a 1000w or greater PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back