TechSpot

will z-5500 work with integrated sound?

By twite
Jul 13, 2006
  1. hi, i just ordered the-5500 5.1 speaker system for my comp and wondering if it will work with my integrated sound on my ic7 motherboard. I am unfamiliar with sound cards so help would be great.I went to the abit website and this is what i found out

Audio
    - 6-Channel AC 97 CODEC on board
    - Professional digital audio interface supports S/P DIF optical In/Out

As i said i am not sure exactly what this means so help would be great

2. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 854

Those speakers support input from digital coax and optical so you should be fine.

3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

Determine whether your speakers are digital or analog and if your card is the same.

If they match it should work.

4. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

It'll work but when you buy speakers like the Z-5500, you don't use them with opnboard sound (even if the onboard sound is Via Envy or Creative Audigy based). Get a proper dedicated sound card to get the most of those speakers.

5. N3051M

N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

It'll work if you're not too fussy with the sound output, but like didou said, a real sound card is much better...

if you speakers dont connect via a digital source like optical/coaxal (best) then set up your sound card to output to 5.1 mode (which will disable your microphone and line in inputs), then connect it directly. otherwise, if the speaker has a stereo to 5.1 converter built in then use that (not the best option)

6. twite

twite TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 937

i just picked up the creative audigy 4 and it all sounds great..thanks for the help

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.