WiMAX live in San Francisco, AT&T expands Wi-Fi initiative

Jos

Staff

Sprint and Clearwire have just flipped the on switch to their 4G network in four California cities: San Francisco, Oakland, Palo Alto and San Jose.

The rollout comes after almost two years since the companies’ first WiMAX broadband market launched in Portland, Oregon and brings the total number of markets served to 71. The service is accessible from a range of WiMAX-capable devices and phones, including a QWERTY-equipped variant of the Samsung Galaxy S (Epic 4G) and the HTC EVO 4G, home or mobile hotspots, and data modems for notebook computers.

To help promote the launch new customers who sign up online will receive a 50% discount on their service plan for the first two months, with overnight shipping included and no activation fee. With this, Sprint and Clearwire have completed the first major phase of their nationwide mobile broadband rollout as planned, and prepare to go head-to-head with Verizon, which rolled out LTE service covering a potential 110 million customers in one fell swoop last month.

Meanwhile, AT&T is taking a different approach to ease network congestion in busy metro areas by increasing its Wi-Fi hotzone presence. These hotspots work to complement the carrier’s 3G coverage and are accessible free of charge to subscribers.

The company has already been offering Wi-Fi service around New York City's Times Square and is expanding that zone ahead of the annual New Year's Eve celebration. Other areas where AT&T has established Wi-Fi hotzones include downtown Charlotte, N.C., Chicago's Wrigleyville, and soon San Francisco’s Embarcadero Center.

Permalink to story.

I don't see why everyone complains about AT&T

I have amazing coverage on my iphone

Depends on where you are. Some areas have absolute garbage coverage. For many people, worse than they should be, given how much AT&T costs.

Because let's face it, while they charge as much as Verizon, their coverage isn't the same.

The news about Clear is so wonderful - which is what we thought when it first arrived in the Pacific Northwest two years ago but now it is seen as the worst company in our Tech history, right next to Microsoft for different reasons. You should spend more time researching what happened to their customer base, especially those that use the service for Internet access. High speed wireless was created solely for retrieving content from the Internet, whether that be software, music or video but when the ISP restricts what a paided user can retrieve from the Internet by targeting sites that the user accesses - High speed wireless loses it reason for being.

All other aspects of the Internet can be viewed and utilized using Dial-Up. My account specifies that my Download speed at all times should be 1.5 MB but in reality since I was targeted by Clear with their algorithm on September 29th 2010 my download speed is less than 40kb and I always have five lights on my Motorola Modem - at this point Clear is guilty of false advertising, fraud, and theft, since they are still accessing my bank account 29.95 per month for life.

So how do you get out of the contract? We learned the hard way that you should never contact customer service - which at Clear really doesn't exist other than to confuse their customers. When you do business with an ISP never use a credit card - NEVER!

Instead it is always best to use a bank Debit card. With a bank debit card you can call the bank and report the card lost and in 7 to 10 days they will issue a new card with a different account number and it is that number that is billed not the bank account and when that account number no longer exists - oh well - here let me turn up the volume, Clear.

Now most users of Clear don't understand how the system works, or the real reason why they are using the throttling algorithm, Clear and its parent Sprint over-sold their capabilities. There was no problem with their service until they decided to move into the Smart Phone market. Clear can not provide the advertised speeds for smart phones unless they reduce network consumption on the Internet - they can not provide both.

kg363 said:
I don't see why everyone complains about AT&T

I have amazing coverage on my iphone

It's not just about coverage, I have always noticed lower volume and not as clear phone calls with AT&T.

As much as I think sprint can be Expensive and the coverage isn't always solid, the clearer voice calls is what does it for me. That and 4G is as fast as advertised when it works. Phew.

Back