TechSpot

Win 2000 & laptop problem

By looking
Feb 3, 2010
  1. Hi all,

HELP!

I have an old Dell Inspiron 4000 which I 'inherited'. I want to load Windows 2000 onto it (from my old Win 2000 CD)
    It is an Intel´┐ŻPentium III 750MHz with 32KB L1 cache and 256KB L2 cache with 100MHz external bus frequency and Intel SpeedStep.

Display = 14.1-inch XGA TFT color display

I have loaded it and it works fine....except it only takes up half the screen!!
    It has a black border around Windows of about 2.5" all around. Ie, the display is like a box in the middle of the screen.
    I obviously need some driver or other, but I'm not tech savvy enough to know which.
    At present it is trying to operate off a standard VGA driver which was installed with Windows 2000.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Thanks
    Craig

Attached Files:

2. dustin_ds3000

dustin_ds3000 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,129

1 Minimize all applications so that you can see the desktop.
    2 Right-click anywhere on the desktop background (not on an icon).
    3 In the resulting pop-up menu, choose Properties. This will open the Display Properties dialog box.
    4 In the Display Properties dialog box, select the Settings tab.
    5 In the Settings tab, in the lower right corner, is a "slider" which allows you to change the screen resolution.
    6 Slide this control to the left to decrease the screen resolution and to the right to increase the resolution.

3. looking

looking TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for your reply. But that is not the problem.
    I can get either 640 or 800 resolution, but the window size remains the same.
    Thanks

4. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,061   +77

That mean proper driver for your vga has not been installed. If this page is telling the correct specs, then you have ATI Vga on your Dell.

I've found this link for the ATI Rage M3 drivers, I hope it will work for you; please do let me know otherwise.

5. looking

looking TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks. that driver worked fine.
    Thanks for your help.
    Cheers
    Craig

6. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,061   +77

Thats wonderful; have fun and take care.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.