Win 2K for XP - programs install OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Win2k on board and better get real...several years late perhaps and install XP.
I have Acronis 10 ghosted the programs on the system drive.
If I install XP will the programs install OK?
TIA

I think you may not fully understand the process of 'installing' a program. Almost all commercial programs write a fair amount of information to the system registry and will not run without that. A simple copy of installed programs does NOT contain that registry information, so plonking a copy on a new OS drive and expecting it to work is a non-starter.

Furthermore, many applications especially from MS install themsleves all over the place, not just in one directory. Did you know that, and take account of it in your backups?

You WILL have to REINSTALL every application you wish to use on a new OS.

Other things to watch out for -

XP hardware requirements are at least twice that of Win2K. Is your PC up to it?
Your applications, as I say, you must reinstall. Have you got all the install discs, the registration numbers?
Are your applications warranteed to run on XP? This is very likely, but not certain. You need to check.
The XP OS itself is about ten times as large as 2K. For instance, I have 17Gb on my system drive, with practically all application data and some complete applications, on a second drive. Although when first installed, XP may only require about 5Gb, boy, does it bloat up fast! Make sure you have at least an extra 10Gb over and above your present requirements.

Thanks dbhall

You have explained it very well and yes i am in the Luddite zone on this one.
My computer can handle the XP system all right so I am going to have to do some homework to get all the programs and drivers etc together.
Thanks again for the explanation
idhazza

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back