TechSpot

Win 7 32-bit to 64-bit for a gamer?

By JohnD212
Jul 22, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I currently run Win 7 32bit on my QuadCore Alienware system. I have been really happy with it but wondered if I upgraded my 32bit OS to the 64bit OS would I see an increase in performance? For a gamer is the 64bit a good choice? I currently have 4 GB of RAM on my system.

In the past the 64bit was a little less compatible with software so most tended to stay away from it.

Advice? thanks much

2. DjKraid

DjKraid TS Maniac Posts: 640   +16

with the 64-bit os you "use" more of the computers performance...or I dnt knw how to say it but for ex. you said you have 4gigs ram, with the 32bit os you only use ~3.2gig but with the 64bit os you use all that you have. I'm not sure but I think you also "get to use" more of the cpu...
    Even if some games says that they "haven't been tested and might not work" / "aren't compatible" with the 64bit os you can install them in "compability mode", that's how I do it and it works...I play Battlefield 2142 and it can't be installed normally on WinXP 64bit edition but with the compability mode it works just fine :)

P.S
    There are "64-bit" compability patches for some games

3. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +99

In most home scenario's 64bit Operating systems are used for computers in excess of 4GB RAM. Its hard to really see 90% of home/social users actually using the full potential of a 64bit operating system.

My main PC runs 64bit Linux, and 64bit Windows 7 Ultimate. I can't say I've ever noticed any slow down of performance - I think its fair to say most modern hardware (dual/quads and high speed DDR2/3 RAM) will happily take the slightly increased load without really making any noticeable difference to performance.

As for games; I have absolutely no idea, I don't even have the Microsoft supplied games on my PC. lol.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.