TechSpot

Win 7 64-bit & multiple sound cards - can I do that?

By Savage1701
Aug 19, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I don't do a lot of audio stuff with Win 7, but I would like to know this:

My MB, a LanParty board, has built-in audio. I typically have 4 audio feeds out of it at once - push audio news, seminar room audio, and maybe some music. I understand I can mix these at the sound control panel, and I do. However, I would like to be able to send 1 or 2 of these sources through a separate audio card and to separate amplified speakers.

Can I do this under Win 7 and, say, have audio feeds 1 and 2 go out through my LanParty onboard audio to one set of amplified speakers, and then send sources 3 and 4 to, say, a PCI-based or USB-based audio dongle connected to a second pair of speakers.

Sound quality is NOT an issue. These are voice quality, for the most part, being used in a work setting.

I appreciate all responses except "Why?" ones. I want to because it's my first choice of how I want to handle my sounds. So, please, don't ask me "Why would you want to do that when you can use the Win 7 mixer and a single sound card?" or "Why are you trying to listen to 4 sources at once?"

I just want to know if I can do that, and, if so, how do I assign a sound from a source, such as Hotcomm or Citrix GoTo or Adobe Connect, to a specific card.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.