Win 7 error E:\ is not a valid win32 application

By Hodsocks
Sep 10, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Every time I try to install a program from disc I get the above error, the only time I have an E drive is if my USB stick is plugged in. For some reason I assume its trying to install to the E drive rather than the C drive. I have a recollection that I have seen this before and the fix involves changing something in the registry but I don't remember what.
    Can you guys refresh my memory?
  2. mike1959

mike1959 TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,033   +15

Hi, Try plugging your USB flash stick back in, then in 'Computer' (if Vista/7) or 'My Computer' (if XP) , right-click on the E drive and choose 'Eject'.
    That will tell Windows that the E drive is not available.
    This problem can show up if you have tried to install a 16 bit program at some time in the past. (If I remember correctly !)
  3. Hodsocks

Hodsocks TechSpot Guru Topic Starter Posts: 526

Thanks for the reply, tried that but still no improvement
  4. mike1959

Hi, Ok, a few other things.... does your CD/DVD drive work normally when used for other reasons, eg, playing a DVD or a music CD? It could be the DVD drivers need updating/reinstalling. Worth doing I think. Windows may not be 'seeing' your DVD drive.
    (Device manager, DVD drives, update driver software.)
    This fault (not avalid Win32 app) is often created by trying to run a program off the stick that is not designed for your current O/S ( could be 64 bit or 16 bit etc ).
    I'm trying not to recommend registry 'fixing' programs !!
  5. Hodsocks

Cd works fine with music, just doesn't want to install any software
  6. Hodsocks

Tried copying contents of cd onto memory stick but still wont install.
  7. Hodsocks

I eventually resorted to reloading windows which resolved the problem, thanks for your help
  8. mike1959

Hi, Ok, It's a lot of work to reinstall Windows if you have a lot of other data installed too, but if it sorts out the 'install' problem then of course it's one way that certain to work, (assuming no other trouble.)
  9. Hodsocks

Yep. the reinstall resolved the problem I am pleased to report.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.