Win 7 keeps freezing

Hi all,

I recently built a new computer which I generally do every couple of years, but this one has given me many issues I've never encountered before. It continually freezes during even basic tasks, so I'm hoping someone might be able to help me trouble shoot this... :D

I had a new installation of Windows 7 64-bit on a partition, and after installing a number of other programs, my computer began to freeze every day, during different tasks from downloading torrents and editing photos to web browsing.

I reinstalled windows and it seemed to be fine for a while but then continued to freeze, particularly when downloading.

I reinstalled again, and installed only basic programs, and it still happens.

I then had a faulty hard drive (a storage drive wtih no boot partition) which failed, and this has since been removed.

After this we had no problems, until today. I have rebooted the system 5 times already today after it has frozen.
I have run chkdsk, and memory tests and nothing comes up as an issue.

I have just rebooted and gone to run Control Panel, and it has again frozen.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can try next to determine the issue?!

Thanks!!

I don't know if I will have an answer but are your PC specs the ones listed in your System specs? Could you add the PSU brand and model?

I don't know if I will have an answer but are your PC specs the ones listed in your System specs? Could you add the PSU brand and model?

Yeah, system specs are as per profile. PSU is EarthWatts 500W.

The only thing I can think of yesterday that has made the system unusable now is I activated Windows. I have turned off automatic updates, but since activating I cant even get 5 minutes of anything done without the machine freezing :( I don't know if this is just a coincidence, or if there is more to it...

Any help is much appreciated!

Make sure it's not overheating - you can use your finger on the CPU Heatsink & see if it's uncomfortable to touch.
Whilst you are there, "thermal probe" the Northbridge and Vid Card Heatsinks as well.

Run Memtest

Run a HDD diagnostic

Best of luck

Back