Win 7 or XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am confused wether to install windows 7 in my pc.....i currently have xp installed......i am interested in gaming and play games like call of duty , splintercell , fifa etc.........my system configuration is 2gb DDR2 ram , core 2 duo processor 2.93 Ghz , 512 Mb GeForce 8400 graphics card........My worry is that if i install windows 7 will it affect the games i play coz i read that windows 7 consumes more RAM than windows xp.......for the time being my dad wont allow me to upgrade ram from 2 to 4 gb......guys please help me regarding this

If you have Windows XP Service Pack 3 installed, and all updates, you have another year of support to consider what must be done. Most agree that Windows 7 is better, but you still must have a need that outpaces your current games.
You likely will not be happy with Windows 7 for games without the additional memory. You would probably be happier if you were also able to upgrade the graphics card... which will likely be worn out in a year.

I agree

Even though Win7 is a new great OS, you would want to be more informed on what your PC specs are. Win 7 requires a lot of resources and a butt load of ram to operate correctly. Which version of Win7 you want and is it 32 or 64 bit.

Once you get all that in order, your gaming will be boosted to a new level of enjoyment. But I prefer try using Vista for GAming.

@kingmeet i am not specific about 32 bit or 64.....i just want the one which wont affect my gaming ......so what should i do

Try to get 32 bit and make sure... Wait what games are you trying to play. I am a PC gamer and and I went through a lot trying to get my system correct. But I built my own PC so I made sure it was WIn 7 ready and my games too. I use Win 7 Ult. and Vista Ult. Both works fine on my PC.

I suggest that you have a min 2-3 gigs of ram and at min of dual core 1.8ghz.

Why upgrade? Do you currently have or need Windows 7 for something? If your sole purpose of upgrading to Windows 7 is just for gaming I would recommend against it. There are other areas on your PC that could provide much better results if you upgrade like a new GPU. If however your parents want you to install Windows 7 then your best bet in taking the least amount of performance hit is in 32bit and not 64bit since you lack memory.

If you have Windows XP Service Pack 3 installed, and all updates, you have another year of support to consider what must be done. <snip>
Where do you hear / what makes you think only one year support left for XP SP3????

thnx to all for replying.......@relic so u say installing that win 7 32 bit shall be fine.....it wont affect the games that i play rght ?

I don't know if it would have any affect or not on your games (i'll leave that topic to others to reply) but would suggest you might want to create a backup image of your current hard drive before the upgrade so, in any case, you always have the option to come back to where you are now

EAUSUS Todo backup

Oh. one more point....

In addition to the backup, be sure to Create Rescue Media (i think it's an option on their toobar) so you can create CD and have it handy if you should ever need to restore from a bootable CD

Happy computing (and gaming!) :)

thnx to all for replying.......@relic so u say installing that win 7 32 bit shall be fine.....it wont affect the games that i play rght ?

I can't say for sure that you won't see a slight performance hit but going the 32bit route with your system seems to be the best option if you get Windows 7 imo (full retail copy comes with both discs). I've looked at some benchmarks including COD4 and the difference between XP 32bit vs Win7 32bit is a few FPS in favor of XP for several games but nothing major. However the system they used to test on was a high-end gaming machine and this is from last year so it could have changed since then.

I still stand by my previous suggestion though. If you are only upgrading to Windows 7 for gaming I do not think its worth it and say use that money towards upgrading or convincing your parents to let you upgrade your hardware instead before buying a new OS.

And if you do choose to install Win7 make sure to backup your data as LookinAround pointed out. Especially since their is no direct upgrade path.

Where do you hear / what makes you think only one year support left for XP SP3????

[Edit] Quick correction XP SP2 is being retired this month. SP3 extended support should continue until the end of XP's life cycle in 2014. And from my understanding mainstream support for all of XP has ended and no more free technical support is offered.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-us&x=12&y=12&C2=1173
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_xp#Support_lifecycle

I need help desperately, sorry if it seems out of place

Um, I'm new to this site and don't really understand how to make my own topic or anything else for that matter other than post. So I'll do just that. Several days ago I had to restore my computer because of some stupid SP3 download, restoring might have been a drastic measure but thats besides the point. The fact is I restored my Windows XP system and lost a video driver that I'm guessing might explain why games I download don't work anymore, except for Star Craft so far. It also makes my computer screen super choppy when scrolling on the internet. I think I'm missing a video driver with the title of Video Controller (VGA compatible) I've spent days trying to get the dam thing back and I'm furious that I can't fix it.

The last time I went through a system restore I got lucky and downloaded something that fixed my problem. I hope you guys can help me because so far no one has been able to. This site seems to be filled with the people I should have asked form the start rather than get pissed off with days of trying to fix this. My video card is SiS86C202 I believem if you needed to know that.

XP is more compatible to external device than window 7

Windows 7 is more compatible.

And to answer to your question hawk92 Windows 7 is better than Vista and XP, more rapid, stable, effective, and better response. I have the Ultimate version on my pc with 1GB DDR2 and it work better than XP was on it even with all effects on now for better performance you can disable some effects. For gaming windows 7 is also better. In every category windows 7 is better.

Why upgrade? Do you currently have or need Windows 7 for something?
IMO, G R E A T comment. Let your NEEDS drive your decisions, not the technology. The analogy is the automobile:
Some will buy and drive it into the ground (eg: yours truly) and others replace their cars every 2-3 years - - just because.
Hands down Win/7 is a better and more secure system, but that is a technology comment, not a needs statement.

Then there's the 'learning curve' with any new system - - and some adapt more quickly than other.

best wishes ;)

I suggest you to upgrade all the requirements for Windows 7 properly than install Windows 7. It is a good operating system but it needs more resources for better convenience. I think until you update your system configuration you can use Windows 7 theme which will make you feel that you are somewhere working with Windows 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back