Win 7 restarts within 5 seconds after shutdown

Has anyone had this issue before? I've tried unchecking the auto restart button in adv system settings, dumping the bios, and changing the value from 0 to 1 in the powerdownaftershutdown part of the registry. This is on an old Soyo motherboard and Soyo has gone out of business, so I'm not able to update the bios (to my knowledge). Also I don't have any devices that show that they are not working in the device manager. This is a 32 bit version of win7. If I shut off the power switch on the back of the power supply at the right split second after it powers down, it will shut down and stay down until I power it back up. If I miss that second, it cause issues on the next bootup. The mobo is an SY-p4I865pe Plus Dragon 2 V1.0. This is a pentium 4 Celeron processor. Any helpful thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry

Only 'iffy' thoughts - no real answers. My guess would be either power button (it is 'momentary on' to make the start - and maybe yours is making more contact than you want.) or an equivalent issue in the PSU (blow out the dust!). Try removing the power button from the motherboard and using a small bladed screwdriver to make the 'jump' connection - if your problem goes away, then replace the power button ($3-$5). If the dustless PSU works, great.

Other than that you might have more fun picking up an older better machine. I paid $111 for a Dell Precision T3500 (Xeon workstation) - good manuals, etc all on line. Something like..https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Preci...538842?hash=item214be9de9a:g:QXYAAOSw~vNb5ctR

Back