Win 95 progs on Win XP

By aeronautica
Dec 31, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a game (Mechwarrior 2) that was made for Windows 95. I now have Windows XP, and I can't install the game. I tried using the Compatibility Wizard, which did not help. I also looked on the Activision website (the maker of the game) and as of now, they have no patch available. When I try to install it, it gives me an error message: InstallShield Engine EXE has encountered a problem and needs to close; and it goes on about sending a report to Microsoft...anyway, if anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

PS (attached is an image of the screen with error message)

Attached Files:

2. aeronautica

aeronautica Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 30

Note: I also copied the files from the cd onto my hard drive and tried to run the .exe file, upon which the screen went black for a second as if it was going to run, but it never did. Instead it went back to the Win XP screen....I then again attempted to use change the compatability settings to run in compatability with Win 95 and 256 colors etc, however the same thing occured when I tried running the program....if anyone might know how to remedy this I would appreciate it.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.