Win/ 98 -or- Me ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncleel

Helping neighbor build a rig for the kids, to be used for internet, & games.
PII-450
AWE 32
TnT Vanta
USR sportster 56k
WD 3gig HD

BECUASE HAX0R'NG SI ILLEGUL I said he must come up w/ his own OS.
His choices are (from his work I guess)
1.) Win/98 (1st edition)
2.) Win/Me

Which should he choose?

Hmm

Is there really no way to get Win98SE ? It works much better then the first one & WinME never should've came out...

I must face him. Alone.

Not keen on ME but it seems to like some computers, so its maybe worth trying.

If it doesn't like your rig, it will be a disaster and probably crash frequently. If you do try ME, give the machine a chance to reveal any problems with a proper testing period.

Like Didou said, it a shame you can't get win98 SE.

I think I'm going to be in the minority here but I'd say toss on ME. I've had it on 3 seperate computers and all of them took it well. (Although I have seen other computers that didn't like it).

Computers that liked it:
  • 1 Ghz Athlon
    Asus A7V w/256 megs of ram at the time
    IBM 30gig Deathstar 60gxp
    Creative Modemblaster modem
    RealTek something (8139?) 10/100 LAN card
    Asus GeForce 2MX
    Panasonic 8x DVD
    Aopen 50x CD
    Mitsumi 4x4x24 CD-RW
  • HP
    PII 300 Pavilion 8275
    196 Megs RAM
    Factory everything else
  • Compuke Celeron 266
    my sister's comp I don't know what else it has other than a 4 gig HD
    96 Megs RAM

Computer I saw it didn't work with:
Compuke
Celeron 500
512 Megs RAM (Probably part of the problem ME doesn't deal with that without tweaking)

I'd say if he has a decent amount of RAM (128+) ME is good, just clean install it.

win/98se update cd

He does have a M$ win/98se update cd that allows you to upgrade 98 -to- 98se, which he got from Dell. I assume that the same as Windows Critical Updates obtained online.

It's been mentioned on the boards that Win/Me is better for gaming ( & were not talking any serious games here) mostly kid stuff.

I've kept Win98 on my system for the games only. Drivers have been tweaked very well for it ( Creative drivers for 2k/xp are really bad, at least for the Live series... ).

Some games just won't run in 2K so I kept 98SE...

I want them alive. No disintegrations....

I DID have Windows ME on my main machine as a small partition for suporting games that did not run well or at all on win2k.

It was so buggy and rubbish, I intentionally downgraded the partition to Windows 98 SE with a fresh install.

Not a big fan of Win ME.

I'm inclined to use 98 & try that upgrade cd to make it SE. Never believed in the Lastest & Greastest OS from M$ marketing hype, & I don't know what Me was all about other than a way to stop support for 95.
Far as I remember, Me had alot of photo editing stuff, like it was an experiment for future intergration ( XP) Don't think his kids need it & never thought better than SE, except for some comments I've read about "gaming" but it ain't my decision. Rig is about done & I'll be formatting for him this weekend.

be aware of some pitfalls

Wouldn't Windows update
http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/default.asp
be better than the update on CD}

Windows 98 Second Edition Updates CD from Microsoft
http://www.windows-help.net/windows98/start-011.shtml
be aware of some pitfalls:
MS-DOS installations are not supported
Because this version will only upgrade over Windows 98, installations from MS-DOS have been disabled. This means you must be able to boot your current version of Windows 98 and run Setup from there.

Cannot reinstall entire OS from the Updates CD
If you want to do a clean installation to a new directory or new drive letter, you must first install the original Windows 98 released version, and then apply the Updates CD. You can not reinstall the entire Windows 98 Second Edition directly from the Updates CD. You should always keep your original Windows 98 CD-ROM (or floppy disks) in case you must reinstall.

* The Updates CD is the $19.95 (+S&H) CD you can order from Microsoft to Update your existing version of Windows 98 to Windows 98 Second Edition.

You can make WindowsME step-up clean install by using the 98se cd he has from dell (assuming its not a system restore cd). And isn't ME step up only like $50. I say only like $50 is a drop in the bucket. :rolleyes:

Re: I must face him. Alone.

Originally posted by Phantasm66
Not keen on ME but it seems to like some computers, so its maybe worth trying.

If it doesn't like your rig, it will be a disaster and probably crash frequently

Originally posted by uncleel
BECUASE HAX0R'NG SI ILLEGUL
HELLO I USED TOO BE A HAX0R BUT NOW I AM A COMPUTAR CONSULTANT BECUASE HAX0RING SI ILLEGAL!!! AND TEHY SAIDS I WOULD BE ARESTED IF I KEPT HAX0RING SO NOW I HELP PEOPAL INSTEAD OF HURT THEM HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA

Try a 98Lite install of 98se...about 220 MB, no junk, and the fastest OS MS makes, in my opinion, using the 98Lite install...and I think it's as stable as any...I can crash XP Pro :blush:

Originally posted by m1066ad
Try a 98Lite install of 98se...about 220 MB, no junk, and the fastest OS MS makes, in my opinion, using the 98Lite install...and I think it's as stable as any...I can crash XP Pro :blush:

And I can crash Win 98 lite. :)

HELLO I USED TOO BE A HAX0R BUT NOW I AM A COMPUTAR CONSULTANT BECUASE HAX0RING SI ILLEGAL!!! AND TEHY SAIDS I WOULD BE ARESTED IF I KEPT HAX0RING SO NOW I HELP PEOPAL INSTEAD OF HURT THEM HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA
The only HaX0ring happening here will be d0n3 0n y3R |-|34D
:blackeye: :dead: :p

Originally posted by m1066ad

A normal install of 98SE shoulbn't be more then 200mb. Not taking the swap file in account of course ;)

run dos run

Considering these kids might have alot of older Pokémon games, Me looks like a worse & worse choice.

well as much as i dont like 98 it is sooooo much better than ME so i would put 98 on there and let the little chillens have fun with it

Win Choice

I would tend to agree with the general concensis here....Win 98SE would be the best bet. Or tell him to get a newer box and go with XP....

Take care

Boeingfixer

Thanks but I finished the job a few weeks ago. He wanted a kids pc to keep them off his pretty new DeLL.
Went w/ 98 & update disc, due to dos games.

PII-450
AWE 32
TnT Vanta
USR sportster 56k
WD 3gig HD
ThrustMaster Joystix

good enuff lil' rig for the kiddies :approve:

I would personally go with Windows ME. Updated drivers, still supported by MS, has newer multimedia components and bug fixes, supports Win2k style TCP/IP stack (better performance/security) and more. If you really need DOS mode you can easily modify it with any of the free patches out there or boot to a floppy (supported way of doing it by MS). It's faster than Win98 usually, and it has a lot of improved UI enhancements etc. Win95/98 drivers will work fine on WinME also most of the time if needed. :)

thanks but the job is already done & he had to come up w/ the OS. Too many old DOS pokémon type games to take a risk w/ ME's virtual dos. It just has to work, be reliable & easy for the kiddies.

Why on earth someone even suggests installing ME if 98SE is an option??
My record with 98SE size was about 100M (with 95A, 40M) :) I used 98lite and did the rest manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back