TechSpot

Win/ 98 -or- Me ?

By uncleel
Feb 18, 2002
  1. Helping neighbor build a rig for the kids, to be used for internet, & games.
    PII-450
    AWE 32
    TnT Vanta
    USR sportster 56k
    WD 3gig HD

BECUASE HAX0R'NG SI ILLEGUL I said he must come up w/ his own OS.
    His choices are (from his work I guess)
    1.) Win/98 (1st edition)
    2.) Win/Me

Which should he choose?

2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

Hmm

Is there really no way to get Win98SE ? It works much better then the first one & WinME never should've came out...

3. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +6

I must face him. Alone.

Not keen on ME but it seems to like some computers, so its maybe worth trying.

If it doesn't like your rig, it will be a disaster and probably crash frequently. If you do try ME, give the machine a chance to reveal any problems with a proper testing period.

Like Didou said, it a shame you can't get win98 SE.

4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,682   +392

I think I'm going to be in the minority here but I'd say toss on ME. I've had it on 3 seperate computers and all of them took it well. (Although I have seen other computers that didn't like it).

Computers that liked it:
    • 1 Ghz Athlon
      Asus A7V w/256 megs of ram at the time
      IBM 30gig Deathstar 60gxp
      Creative Modemblaster modem
      RealTek something (8139?) 10/100 LAN card
      Asus GeForce 2MX
      Panasonic 8x DVD
      Aopen 50x CD
      Mitsumi 4x4x24 CD-RW
    • HP
      PII 300 Pavilion 8275
      196 Megs RAM
      Factory everything else
    • Compuke Celeron 266
      my sister's comp I don't know what else it has other than a 4 gig HD
      96 Megs RAM

Computer I saw it didn't work with:
    Compuke
    Celeron 500
    512 Megs RAM (Probably part of the problem ME doesn't deal with that without tweaking)

I'd say if he has a decent amount of RAM (128+) ME is good, just clean install it.

5. uncleel

uncleel TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 980

win/98se update cd

He does have a M$ win/98se update cd that allows you to upgrade 98 -to- 98se, which he got from Dell. I assume that the same as Windows Critical Updates obtained online.

It's been mentioned on the boards that Win/Me is better for gaming ( & were not talking any serious games here) mostly kid stuff.

6. Didou

I've kept Win98 on my system for the games only. Drivers have been tweaked very well for it ( Creative drivers for 2k/xp are really bad, at least for the Live series... ).

Some games just won't run in 2K so I kept 98SE...

7. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +6

I want them alive. No disintegrations....

I DID have Windows ME on my main machine as a small partition for suporting games that did not run well or at all on win2k.

It was so buggy and rubbish, I intentionally downgraded the partition to Windows 98 SE with a fresh install.

Not a big fan of Win ME.

8. uncleel

I'm inclined to use 98 & try that upgrade cd to make it SE. Never believed in the Lastest & Greastest OS from M$ marketing hype, & I don't know what Me was all about other than a way to stop support for 95.
    Far as I remember, Me had alot of photo editing stuff, like it was an experiment for future intergration ( XP) Don't think his kids need it & never thought better than SE, except for some comments I've read about "gaming" but it ain't my decision. Rig is about done & I'll be formatting for him this weekend.

9. uncleel

be aware of some pitfalls

Wouldn't Windows update
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/default.asp
    be better than the update on CD}

10. SNGX1275

You can make WindowsME step-up clean install by using the 98se cd he has from dell (assuming its not a system restore cd). And isn't ME step up only like $50. I say only like $50 is a drop in the bucket. :rolleyes:

11. Ai Hate

Ai Hate TS Rookie Posts: 302

Re: I must face him. Alone.

12. SNGX1275

?

Has he/you put an OS on yet? What did you choose? Any problems with the installation?

13. uncleel

this weekend

14. HaXoR

HaXoR TS Rookie

HELLO I USED TOO BE A HAX0R BUT NOW I AM A COMPUTAR CONSULTANT BECUASE HAX0RING SI ILLEGAL!!! AND TEHY SAIDS I WOULD BE ARESTED IF I KEPT HAX0RING SO NOW I HELP PEOPAL INSTEAD OF HURT THEM HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA

15. uncleel

Oh thank you Jeff K.

16. m1066ad

m1066ad TS Rookie

Try a 98Lite install of 98se...about 220 MB, no junk, and the fastest OS MS makes, in my opinion, using the 98Lite install...and I think it's as stable as any...I can crash XP Pro :blush:

17. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

And I can crash Win 98 lite. :)

The only HaX0ring happening here will be d0n3 0n y3R |-|34D
    :blackeye: :dead: :p

18. Didou

A normal install of 98SE shoulbn't be more then 200mb. Not taking the swap file in account of course ;)

19. uncleel

run dos run

Considering these kids might have alot of older Pokémon games, Me looks like a worse & worse choice.

20. Butterball

Butterball TS Rookie Posts: 75

well as much as i dont like 98 it is sooooo much better than ME so i would put 98 on there and let the little chillens have fun with it

21. boeingfixer

boeingfixer TS Rookie Posts: 1,006

Win Choice

I would tend to agree with the general concensis here....Win 98SE would be the best bet. Or tell him to get a newer box and go with XP....

Take care

Boeingfixer

22. uncleel

Thanks but I finished the job a few weeks ago. He wanted a kids pc to keep them off his pretty new DeLL.
    Went w/ 98 & update disc, due to dos games.

PII-450
    AWE 32
    TnT Vanta
    USR sportster 56k
    WD 3gig HD
    ThrustMaster Joystix

good enuff lil' rig for the kiddies :approve:

23. CptSiskoX

CptSiskoX TS Rookie Posts: 32

I would personally go with Windows ME. Updated drivers, still supported by MS, has newer multimedia components and bug fixes, supports Win2k style TCP/IP stack (better performance/security) and more. If you really need DOS mode you can easily modify it with any of the free patches out there or boot to a floppy (supported way of doing it by MS). It's faster than Win98 usually, and it has a lot of improved UI enhancements etc. Win95/98 drivers will work fine on WinME also most of the time if needed. :)

24. uncleel

thanks but the job is already done & he had to come up w/ the OS. Too many old DOS pokémon type games to take a risk w/ ME's virtual dos. It just has to work, be reliable & easy for the kiddies.

25. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

Why on earth someone even suggests installing ME if 98SE is an option??
    My record with 98SE size was about 100M (with 95A, 40M) :) I used 98lite and did the rest manually.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.