Win 98 SE does not recognize hard drive

By alidabiri
Mar 1, 2006
  1. Hi

Im trying to install a new hard drive in win 98 SE. BIOS recognizes the drive as secondary master wd300bb, but windows doesn't recognize. How do I get windows to recognize the hard drive?
  2. peepnklown

peepnklown TS Rookie Posts: 126

Hopefully you formatted and partitioned the secondary driveā€¦The Western Digital HDD should have came with a disk with a utility to help you do so.
  3. Jono91

Jono91 TS Rookie Posts: 52

I'm not sure about this, but it might be formatted with NTFS and Win98 does not recognize NTFS???
  4. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,094

Win 98 is going to have trouble with 300 gigs also.
    WD has a drive partitioning utility you can downld from their site to prepare that HDD.
    I think 98 capacity is 137 gig so keep your partitions a good hunk under that
  5. Vigilante

Vigilante TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,666

WD will have the overlay software you need to get a single 300gb partition. But you can't trust any of 98's tools like fdisk and format. You need to use manufacturer's tools.
  6. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,094

I have never had any luck with drive overlay software. Sooner or later it will conflict with something.Windows has enuf glitches.
    But , that is just me.
  7. Jono91

Jono91 TS Rookie Posts: 52

I had the same problem with my 200gig on win 2000, someone showed me this trick:

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
    2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
    3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry value:
    Value name: EnableBigLba
    Data type: REG_DWORD
    Value data: 0x1
    4. Quit Registry Editor.

I don't know if it will work on win 98 SE but it is worth a try

Good Luck!
  8. peepnklown

peepnklown TS Rookie Posts: 126

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.