TechSpot

Win 98 SE does not recognize hard drive

By alidabiri
Mar 1, 2006
  1. Hi

Im trying to install a new hard drive in win 98 SE. BIOS recognizes the drive as secondary master wd300bb, but windows doesn't recognize. How do I get windows to recognize the hard drive?

2. peepnklown

peepnklown TS Rookie Posts: 136

Hopefully you formatted and partitioned the secondary driveā€¦The Western Digital HDD should have came with a disk with a utility to help you do so.

3. Jono91

Jono91 TS Rookie Posts: 58

I'm not sure about this, but it might be formatted with NTFS and Win98 does not recognize NTFS???

4. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,646

Win 98 is going to have trouble with 300 gigs also.
    WD has a drive partitioning utility you can downld from their site to prepare that HDD.
    I think 98 capacity is 137 gig so keep your partitions a good hunk under that

5. Vigilante

Vigilante TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,120

WD will have the overlay software you need to get a single 300gb partition. But you can't trust any of 98's tools like fdisk and format. You need to use manufacturer's tools.

6. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,646

I have never had any luck with drive overlay software. Sooner or later it will conflict with something.Windows has enuf glitches.
    But , that is just me.

7. Jono91

Jono91 TS Rookie Posts: 58

I had the same problem with my 200gig on win 2000, someone showed me this trick:

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
    2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters
    3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry value:
    Value name: EnableBigLba
    Data type: REG_DWORD
    Value data: 0x1
    4. Quit Registry Editor.

I don't know if it will work on win 98 SE but it is worth a try

Good Luck!

8. peepnklown

peepnklown TS Rookie Posts: 136

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.