TechSpot

Win XP 32-bit to Win XP 64-bit

By worthbillions
Jul 15, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. :eek:Can I update win xp 32 bit to win xp 64 bit without losing all my files or media center edition.

Thank you.

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,685   +333

No, 64 doesn't have a media center edition, and you can't "upgrade" from 32bit to 64bit. It has to be a clean install.

3. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,398   +169

In addition, there may be another "gotcha" to consider: your drivers. I don't know if there's an easy way to check but make sure there are 64 bit versions of drivers for your devices (especially like printers, cams, network cards, etc)

In any event is always good to create a clone image of the drive before attempting so one can always get back to where they were after a "gotcha" strikes!

4. Rabbit01

Rabbit01 TS Booster Posts: 902   +39

You'll want to make sure your CPU will support 64 bit OS as well.

5. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,378   +127

IMO windows xp 64 is pretty crappy.
    Might as well go windows seven.

6. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,364   +53

Windows XP64 was never finished (effectively), and certainly never supported by hardware suppliers. It might work for you, but never very well.

7. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

I wouldn't bother. I would go with win 7 -64bit assuming all your peripherals have drivers.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.