Win XP continuous crash cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chudnab

Original issue* Powered up computer. Win XP loads. Desktop loads. 1-5 minutes of interaction time then BSOD Flash, computer auto-reboot. Continuous cycle. Removed harddrive, transferred valuable data via "drive horse", decided to reformat.

Current issue* Needing to reformat. Lost NTLDR file in data transfer. I have my WIN CD set to boot as primary, keyboard non-responsive when told "press any key to boot from CD." Return message: NTLDR missing, press ctrl +alt+ del to restart. Keyboard still non-responsive. Forced to power down manually.

I am unable to enter safemode. I am able to get to BIOS. I am able to engage CD boot if I utilize a stuck key upon power-up. Win Setup runs. When complete it switches to options screen. At this time the BSOD flashes again and PC reboots.

I want to wipe this drive and start over. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chud

great link... unfortunately.

Link was very helpful. Created USB bootdisk. Selected option two. Got back into windows. Attempted to begin reformatting but computer rebooted.

Received NTLDR error message again. Keyboard (USB) non-responsive, unable to ctrl+alt+del. Powered down PC manually, removed USB Boot Disk, created new USB Boot Disk, replaced and powered up PC. Selected option two, blank screen appeared, "<windows root>\system32\hal.dll missing reinstall." Attempted all nine remaining options, nothing worked.

Any ideas on what I should do now?

Thanks again...

What if you remove the bad disk from boot order in bios and just boot with the repair disk?

Same issue occurs.

Actually, something that may help you a great deal...

I have two hard drives. Both incur the same issue when attempting to boot from either one. I disconnect one while booting from the other.

Let's say that I get into windows. It only grants me a minute or two before rebooting.

Let's also say that my WIN XP/Upgrade CD initializes the Windows setup sequences when boot from CD is selected. When it reaches the "R for repair" screen it reboots again.

Does that help at all?

So, again, if neither is selected for boot and you use the disk what happens?

I disconnected both hard drives, rebooted with USB boot disk, brought me back to the "Try this First, etc..." screen. Went through all 10 (for kicks) each one resulted in:

"Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware. Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information."

I cant utilize the CD for repair. Once it reaches the repair selection screen my computer reboots...

Can be Ram related. If you have two Ram cards installed, try by removing one.

Can also be Drive configuration problem. On ATA HardDrives (not SATA), confirm it is set for CS (Cable Select) at the power/data end, little jumper.
Also confirm that the HardDrive is on its own, No CD daisy chained to it

On SATA (maybe you could help provide more Hardware info, here! )
Try connecting to another Sata port, possibly replace the Sata data cable

Actually please put all your System Specs in your Profile
In the Motherboard field, put your Computer Name and model number (if it is a proprietory one)
Answer Yes to showing your specs too.

Umm you have already, and I didn't check !
It doesn't show when in the reply of course

Heya Kim - he started by saying 'I want to wipe this drive and start over. Any help would be greatly appreciated.' so I was just trying to help him clear it off.

Hope you have some luck here.

:)

Tried a few things.

1st. Relocated jumper to Cable Select, ATA Harddrive has seperate power cord, rebooted with Harddrive selected. Result: Disk Read Error, press ctrl + alt + del to restart. (Repetitive cycle)

2nd. Removed a stick of RAM, kept above stated settings, same end result.

3rd. Replaced RAM (slots 1 & 3), changed BIOS to boot from CD, then to HDD1. Pressed key to boot from CD, ran setup, abruptly rebooted before completion.

4th. Kept above settings. Did not press key to boot from CD. Result: NTLDR Missing. ctrl + alt + del to restart...

Is there a way to boot from a disk/drive that will run a program to wipe my HD? If so, where can I find the best one...

Thanks.

I tried to boot from my Flash disk with the delpart.exe file on it... result: remove media device and press any key... which led back to NTLDR missing, etc...

((BTW I am extremely appreciative of all the time and help you guys have been offering. It's a lot more support than I've ever received for these types of issues. Thanks!))

Ok lets do the right thing here!

Please download Gparted (Live Bootable CD

Burn the ISO to CD

Boot only from the CD

Remove the Partition Fully

Then the HardDrive Partition and all files will be gone.
At last you can install Windows clean (obviously a Windows CD now required to install Windows)

Kim, I was one step ahead. Last night I d-loaded a program called KillDisk.

http://www.killdisk.com/

I loaded the program onto a flash disk, booted up, and wiped the drive clean.

Now, like you said, if I could just find a copy of windows... ha.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back