TechSpot

Win XP Crashes - How do I stop it?

By maXimus4444
Mar 24, 2009
  1. Hey everybody,

I built this rig one year ago. Now whenever I attempt to copy a large file (500,000 MB or greater) windows crashes. I don't get the BSOD but a dialog box appears and explains:

Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.
    It then goes on to say you can send error report or don't send.

I opened the Device Manager to see if there were any drivers that were not installed correctly or not installed at all. It did not appear that any of the drivers had the yellow question mark. I have several network adapters disabled, which contain the red "X" next to them.

I am trying to figure out if there is an "Crash Log" (not sure if that is the correct term) where I can view information about what is happening. I would like to be able to look at the log and then discern why it is happening and what i can do to stop it.

Here's my specs:

Asus P5B Deluxe
    Intel Core 2 Quad 6600
    2x1 GB DDR2-SDRAM -> PNY
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
    Windows XP Professional SP3

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

3. maXimus4444

maXimus4444 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 118

I am in the process of reading those articles. Thanks for the info kimsland. I will let you know what I find out.

4. maXimus4444

maXimus4444 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 118

Thanks Kimsland!

~I read up on those articles that you gave me. I downloaded the symbols and Microsoft debug tools.

I figured out that the crash was caused by a program that was not fully uninstalled. Thanks for your help!

5. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Thanks for the update :grinthumb

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.