win xp file recovery after reinstall and partitions??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was having a problem with Windows Xp, my system went into a boot loop and just wouldn't come out of it, so I read around on the web and someone said to boot from the cd drive with a windows cd. so I tried it and it reinstalled the entire xp system. At least the computer boots up correctly now but all of my files are not on the system anymore. I tried a few programs for file recovery nothing worth while coming up. Is there anyway that I can search within the system without using one of these file recovery programs or do i have to have something to assist me, and if there is a good one please let me know, I really need those files back if anyone can help me at all....Thanks:)

Hi cbchicky22 and welcome to the TechSpot Forum :wave:

If you chose to delete the existing OS when you reinstalled then NO everything is gone for good and you will have to use one of the file recovery programs, if however you chose to do an over the top install and the files you want were in the folders such as "My Documents" then there may be a chance that they are still on the drive.

Open Explorer and browse to C:\documents and settings and see what names appear.

If your old username is there then the files will still be there, you may need to take ownership of the files follow this link for help in doing that.

Would you please take a few moments to read the following. It will help to make your Techspot experience a more pleasurable one.

Techspot FAQ.

A message for all newcomers.

SNGX1275`s A guide to making a good post/thread.

Regards

cbchicky22 said:
I was having a problem with Windows Xp, my system went into a boot loop and just wouldn't come out of it, so I read around on the web and someone said to boot from the cd drive with a windows cd. so I tried it and it reinstalled the entire xp system. At least the computer boots up correctly now but all of my files are not on the system anymore. I tried a few programs for file recovery nothing worth while coming up. Is there anyway that I can search within the system without using one of these file recovery programs or do i have to have something to assist me, and if there is a good one please let me know, I really need those files back if anyone can help me at all....Thanks:)

When you reinstalled XP, did you also reformat? If so, your personal files are gone. If you didn't, then they should still be there. Yes, even after a reformat, it is possible to recover a lost file but it's extremely unlikely and difficult. A reformat wipes out the old filesystem and installs a new one. The old data still resides somewhere on the disk but there is no easy way to find it.

almcneil said:
When you reinstalled XP, did you also reformat? If so, your personal files are gone. If you didn't, then they should still be there. Yes, even after a reformat, it is possible to recover a lost file but it's extremely unlikely and difficult. A reformat wipes out the old filesystem and installs a new one. The old data still resides somewhere on the disk but there is no easy way to find it.

Isnt that what I said ??

Ididmyc600 said:
Isnt that what I said ??

Yes, I did repeat part of your explanation but I also threw in some more points. I just wanted to explain it as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back