Win XP Home SP3 won't boot

JohnrfNZ

This may have been caused by my replacing a PS2 mouse yesterday without shutting down the PC first - only thing I can think of - silly man!
On powering on this morning, the M/Board splash screen displays for a few seconds, then a black screen for 10 secs, then the MS Win XP logo & progress bar displays for approx. 45 secs. Then a black screen with lots of text appears, saying "your computer did not shut down correctly" (not true) & other statements. It gives options for Safe Mode, SF + Networking, SF + Command prompt, Last Known Good config, & Start Win Normally. None of these do anything at all, & the whole sequence starts again from the M/Bd screen. There are no error or other messages of any kind displayed.
After a bit of experimenting, I can get as far as:
- Boot from a Win XP CD
- Select Recovery console option
- Select the "1: D:\Windows' option - the only one displayed
- Press ENTER at the "Admin. Password" request - don't know this (may not have one)
- At the resulting D:\Windows directory prompt, can run various DOS commands
(incl. CHKDSK which does not show anything amiss.

I can also use F8 to bring up the Windows Advance Options screen, but none of the options displayed produce any different result.

Can anyone provide suggestions on where I can go from here please - its my (new)wife's PC, so my credibility is really on the line here!!

If it is a corrupt (mouse??) driver, is there anyway I can delete this from the DOS prompt? Would trying Bootcfg /Rebuild and/or Fixboot and/or Fixmbr commands be worth trying?

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.
Thanks.

Thanks for the response. Have alrerady tried swapping back to the 'old' mouse, but makes no difference at all. I don't know for sure whether the 'new' mouse was faulty or not, as it was one I came across whilst looking for something else - murphy's law strikes again. If it was 'faulty', I'm wondering whether that caused a corruption somewhere down the line. Not too keen on trying this one on another PC either at this stage, in case the same thing happens.

This sounds like a driver issue.

If you can boot into Safe Mode and then Start > Run > type in EventVwr.msc > Okay Look for yellow triangles and especially Red Xs. Please note what they flag.

Thanks again. Unfortunately I cannot get Windows loaded at all - even in Safe Mode (ref. above). The CD boot only gives me the Recovery or New Install options, & whilst F8 gives me the Safe Mode options none of these work.

Go to Seagate's website and download their free harddrive diagnostics utility called Seatools. Burn to a CD and placed burned CD into your DVD drive. (You may have to place your DVD drive as first bootable in the BIOS to get this test to run)

Reboot and the test will almost immediately take over. Run SMART, Short DST, and especially the Long DST.

Back