Win XP Pro reinstall

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonw0w

So I'm having some trouble reinstalling windows xp pro on my laptop. I have two legal licensees - the one that came with the laptop (a Toshiba Satellite M55-S232) and one that I got through my school's MSDN program.

I tried to install Vista Business on my laptop but it could not handle it so now I want to go back to XP Pro. I no longer have the CD that came with the MSDN purchase and I don't have any of the old Toshiba CDs (I bought the laptop in 2003).

Anyway, I just want to know if I can do anything about this. Is there a real human that I can talk to at Microsoft that can help me with this? I own TWO copies. I should be able to install them even if I lost the CDs. Also, I should be able to get the CDs replaced at the least if I did lose them. Anybody have any experience with this?

If you have the keys with you, you can use any XP media to install it with those legal keys. Hence, I see no need to go back to microsoft.

If you have the keys with you, you can use any XP media to install it with those legal keys.

I don't have the XP media. That's the problem: I need the media replaced. Also, I think there may be a difference between the different packages of xp. E.g. XP Pro vs. XP Pro SP2 vs. XP Pro SP3 vs. the OEM versions of all of those. That's six different installer versions. Do you know if the CD keys will just *work* when I use an installer that was different than the original?

Any XP Pro key will work with any XP Pro CD

Any XP Home key will work with any XP Home CD

An XP Pro license will not work with a Home CD etc etc.

You do not have to worry that the installer might be different or its a different service pack.

Hope that helps!

There you go; Cooler have beaten me and replied to your question while I was having my much needed Zzzz after a busy day :)

That definitely is good to know but I still don't have any XP media to install from. I need to know where I can get replacement media legally; or is that even possible?

Microsoft has placed a reasonably detailed procedure about obtaining replacement media for software from them. That shall answer most of your questions in this respect. However, you must remember that they will ask for proof of purchase (with reference to your purchase through MSDN program).

Also, your notebook license of xp, you can call your notebook manufacturer (again with proof of purchase i think) and ask them to provide you with the replacement media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back