TechSpot

Win XP SP3 HDD problem and error messages

By jonni65
Dec 19, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi guys, I have a doozy of a problem that I have tried all I know to fix. It is a Samsung 250gb HDD with 3 partitions on it. Initially I received an error message 0x000000c2 I tried to access the HDD in safe mode but no good. I went back into Safe mode and tried to use chkdsk /r, which told me to restart and the chkdsk would run. I restarted and went into Safe mode agen but instaed of using chkdsk /r, I used /f. All this did was bring up another error something like 0x000000
    a or something similar. I installed this drive as a slave on my comp, opened My computer and tried to read the drive but, it now says the Hdd is not formatted. I have no idea on how to fix this and I am hoping that one of you guys can help me out. Best regards, jonni65

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Raw: The volume filesystem type information is unavailable
    http://www.z-a-recovery.com/unformat-tutorial.htm

You could try backing up your data with the above program
    It allows 4 levels down for free ie D:\My folder\My Next Folder\My Next Folder\My last Folder

Once backed up, you can then remove the partition in Disk Management in Windows, and format this secondary drive clean

3. jonni65

jonni65 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Windows XP sp3 HDD problem and error messages

Hi kimsland:D Many thanks for your reply, will the program work if I can't see any files on the HDD and cannot enter the drive? Will I have to do this in Safe mode? Regards, jonni65.

4. ManQu

ManQu TS Rookie Posts: 42

5. jonni65

jonni65 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Windows XP sp3 HDD problem and error messages

Hi manqu;) Many thank for your input, I will get that a go. Regards, jonni65.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.