Win2k dialup networking monitor problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
[FONT=courier new]12[/FONT] Hi, up to now I have been using DSL connections but planned to take a desktop computer with me to a vacation house...and did a clean install of Win2K pro and then installed all the programs I could live without on vacation :).

As it completed the install I set it up for dialup since I can't take my DSL with me. NOW every time I use the dialup connection I get this large box called dialup networking monitor and it freezes on the screen. The tabs don't work, the buttons' don't work and the screen shows a drop down box that doesn't drop down....and it shows something about a LPT1 connection. I did not do an advance configuration on the install and just opted a "typical" setup. I checked the add/remove components and I do not have direct cable connection installed or anything else that I could see that would possibly involve file/printer sharing. I can connect to internet...but that dang box freezes there on screen, only way to get rid of it is to do a close from the task bar...or when it completely freezes I have to try a graceful restart...or sometimes a hard restart. This is aggravating me to no end and I have never seen this feature.

I understand this monitor is usually present with WinNT systems when you have networking components installed beyond the usual home dialup settings. I've searched and all I can seem to find at Microsoft and other places seems to bring me to pages concerning WinNT and none as yet seem to refer to the problem I am having. I do see under Networking protocols that Microsoft client is showing but it is certainly not enabled and neither is file/printer sharing.

To make this even stranger is.... I thought well heck, why not cause myself more trouble and attached a printer to the computer and try and install it. WRONG! Nothing but problems now, and I did not even get to the point of installing a driver....cause of the problems that started occurring. I have removed printer cable from LPT1 but guess things went too far. Backed up went back to the day b-4's image backup. So NOW I am back to where I was b-4 attaching a printer cable....and I can get online most of the time and work...if I can get the dialup networking monitor to close from the task bar before it sits on top of desk too long.

Whew! Any ideas other than a stick of dynamite?

Tangrene :blush:

You could try uninstalling the monitor alltogether: According to MSKB's howto (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;243270)

Installing Network Monitor
1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
2. Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
3. Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
4. Click Management and Monitoring Tools, and then click Details.
5. Click to select the Network Monitor Tools check box, and then click OK.
6. Click Next.

Removing, I presume, would be unchecking the box. But, MS has surprised me with un-intelligence before, so I'd not be surpised to see that not work.

You might also try running windows update, maybe there's an update for the monitor that will keep it from hosing you.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Try this..

Hi,
Same problem exactly here on Win2k Pro. In this case, it turned out that the DUN Monitor which doesn't respond is actually part of the Netlaunch program (Win 98/ME version). Connecting to the net using the normal connect option from the DUN icon does not call up the troublesome networking monitor.
If this is your problem, get hold of the latest Netlaunch for Win XP from the author's website.
Hope this helps.
Ted,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back