Win32k.sys

Status
Not open for further replies.

agour

Hi,
I recently built a PC for my friend, but he kept getting crashes on windows vista, so upgraded to windows 7.

I installed the latest gfx card drivers, but none for the mobo (win7 doesnt need them?)

Anyway, so far he has had to bluescreens, which both point at win32k.sys, but other than knowing that, I dont know what to do.

Could anyone extract more info from the dumps that may help? :)

Thanks in advance

Also, his monitor is blurry on any resoloutions.
He's using a sharp aquos (tv and monitor), but the only 2 resoloutions it seems to support is 800x600 and 1024x768. Both of these are blurry, and text is really hard to read. The thing is, the res SHOULD be right, and the refresh rate is also set right...

We tried it with my 22" monitor, and it ran flawlessly, which makes us think its the actual monitor. Could this be contributing to the bluescreens?

One error is 0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.

The second error is 0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

Both cite the Windows OS driver win32k.sys as the probable cause but the problem with OS drivers is most of the time they are just too general to be of much help.

1. When do these BSODs occur?

2. Did any occur when the system was connected to the 22" monitor? I know others who have had issues with TV/Monitor combos much like your friend.

hey thanks for the fast reply

They occur pretty randomly, sometimes when surfing the web, but mainly when streaming videos and watching them fullscreen.

The problem didnt occur with the 22", but it was only tested for a 10minute period. I think he's buying a new monitor anyway soon, so hopefully it will stop then. Will run memtest overnight to check the ram too,.

Also try the following:

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper. If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

Also try the following:

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper. If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

I dont think this will help though; as I downloaded the latest drivers for him previously, and used those to install. (These were the first installed drivers, so was nothing to remove).

If mem-test comes up clean, I will use drivercleaner and try an older version of the gfx drivers :)

The ram failed overnight, so im testing each stick individually to see if I can narrow down the problem. What it looks like though, is that the motherboard is messed up. If I put any stick of ram in a certain slot, it will always fail, but in other slots the ram will pass...

Good diagnostic work on your part. What motherboard make and model did you install?

Good diagnostic work on your part. What motherboard make and model did you install?

ASUS P5QL/EPU. Also, the ram is unbranded OCuk stuff.

Its about 2 months old, compared to the ram which is about 2 years old.

I also tried some ram out of another computer in the first slot (the one which failed EVERY time with the older ram), and it passed everytime (I ran 5 passes).
Also, one stick was completely buggered and wouldnt work in any of the slots, so thats been binned.

Put the two 'working' sticks in the 'working' slots, and it played a game for about 2 hours without crashing (whereas before the game would crash out within 20minutes).

The question really now, is do you think it would matter leaving these sticks even, even though they seem a bit dodgy? Or should they just be replaced completely?

Cheers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back